Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star gazing log

Just wondering if any one has kept a log of the first sightings?

Learning the sky:

I've decided instead of using the goto or charts, I'd just view a bright objects, make a sketch, record position, elevation and date/time... and then using this data, I could probably identify what I was looking at using the Stellarium program...

Question:

As I am recording the information I decided to start a Star Log and wondered if this was common practice as I haven't heard mention of it in the forums... Also, am I recording enough information to accurately identify objects or is there something I missed...

In practice:

The first object I viewed turned out to be Jupiter, my first ever planet... I had to verify this by posting a sketch as I forgot about the telescope inverting images and was confused by the surrounding planets being in the wrong place... thank to rowan46, I now know it was correct... so I have my first entry to my Star Log...

Jupiter is probably the easiest planet to identify but remember, it was my first even sighting, I wasn't about to jump to conclusions... ;)

Mike

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering if any one has kept a log of the first sightings?

Learning the sky:

I've decided instead of using the goto or charts, I'd just view a bright objects, make a sketch, record position, elevation and date/time... and then using this data, I could probably identify what I was looking at using the Stellarium program...

Question:

As I am recording the information I decided to start a Star Log and wondered if this was common practice as I haven't heard mention of it in the forums... Also, am I recording enough information to accurately identify objects or is there something I missed...

In practice:

The first object I viewed turned out to be Jupiter, my first ever planet... I had to verify this by posting a sketch as I forgot about the telescope inverting images and was confused by the surrounding planets being in the wrong place... thank to rowan46, I now know it was correct... so I have my first entry to my Star Log...

Jupiter is probably the easiest planet to identify but remember, it was my first even sighting, I wasn't about to jump to conclusions... ;)

Mike

I have started a log just to write stuff down to help me remember it. Simply learning the constellations and stars in them at present.

That gives me an idea... I write code so I though why not write a php/apache/mysql based Star Log...

You would of course need a web server like WAMP installed but that's pretty simple to set up and use...

There are many benefits to using a local web server, here are just a few...

• Store millions of records...
  • Find a record in milliseconds...
  • Store images and links...
  • Link to useful data/sites from each...
  • Works on all machines (PC, Apple, Unix, Linux)...
  • Access everything through you favourite browser...

I'll go ahead and create one and if anyone wants a copy, they are welcome to it.... should only take a couple of days...

Mike

That gives me an idea... I write code so I though why not write a php/apache/mysql based Star Log...

You would of course need a web server like WAMP installed but that's pretty simple to set up and use...

There are many benefits to using a local web server, here are just a few...

• Store millions of records...
  • Find a record in milliseconds...
  • Store images and links...
  • Link to useful data/sites from each...
  • Works on all machines (PC, Apple, Unix, Linux)...
  • Access everything through you favourite browser...

I'll go ahead and create one and if anyone wants a copy, they are welcome to it.... should only take a couple of days...

Mike

that would be a pretty amazing resource and very useful for sharing information.

I've made a start as there no stars out there... here's a quick image so far...

Note I have not added the back end yet, I'm trying to decide on whether or not to use an open source forum type backend...

I modified one of my existing projects to speed up the development... here's a quick image...

post-27704-0-67024800-1358302848_thumb.j

If I go the whole hog and include the open source forum too, you could actually go live and allow other to add their own Star Logs or at least allow comments and members etc... But for now I designing it as a single user home based Star Log...

Mike

I use a simple excel spreadsheet for keeping track of Messiers ive seen, basically just lists them by number, constallation etc, and put a 1 in box when youve seen it, and it counts it up for you. I will upload it when i get home so others can see what i mean (if i remember - which is doubtful lol)

I want to group objects in categories/classes for example, start, planets, clusters, galaxy etc... Can someone give me a list of these classes or a link to a list... There may even be sub-classes (being a newbie I have no idea) and I want to include all possible options...

Also, what the standard information you would need to locate an object?

Mike

That looks really good and I could definitely see myself using this. As a fellow newb I can't help with what should be included on it I'm afraid, but I will be watching this with great interest

I want to group objects in categories/classes for example, start, planets, clusters, galaxy etc... Can someone give me a list of these classes or a link to a list... There may even be sub-classes (being a newbie I have no idea) and I want to include all possible options...

Also, what the standard information you would need to locate an object?

Mike

For this, maybe linking it with a program like Stellarium might useful. At least you could get Constellation and Dec/RA info from it. Obviously if its not too much hassle :-)

Jeremy

@Jeremy...

Had another at Stellarium... looks like I can actually launch the program and pass an objects position... it should launch and locate the object in question...

I can't test this until I add the database and the remaining php integration...

If I record the positions correctly you should be able to launch and locate ever object in the database... should be interesting.... this also means you could then use Stellarium to locate the object when connected to your scope...

It's turning out to be more practical that I first imagined and of course a little longer to complete...

Mike

@Jeremy, It's all good... I would have gone down this path anyway...

I have two version running, one based on a well know open source forum and the simplified version (so far without a database backend) which allows total freedom of design... I'm also thinking of adding a start/object database that can be used as main reference (just as soon as I can find a free list or open source database). There's very little work to this (assuming I can find the data) and it would make the projects even more useful...

@fire_and_ice, thanks for that, I'll check it out...

As a newbie I was searching for 'logs' as I was wondering how to record my star gazing (once I get going that is!) and found this thread. I will follow your efforts with interest. I was toying with using 'one note' a piece of software that I seem to have....or just a pencil and paper in a notebook. Hate paper clutter, but perhaps easier to carry around! I suppose the way to go would be to use pencil and paper...then use computer later.

On my first two test viewing I made notes and sketches on a note pad and transferred them to the computer that night...

Transferring the information to computer allows me to track my progress but more importantly it allows me to access resources and identify the objects I find...

Later when I start taking pictures, I can easily add them to my own records and of course everything is at hand should I post about the evenings events...

More later...

Archived