SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cloud Dodgers New Equipment thread

knobby

Suppose i should post a picture of my camping trip scope project from last year which started as an ETX 70, then through various buying and selling antics went - Celestron 4se - Sky watcher 127 mak on the 4se mount - to end up rather handsomely as the 127mak on an EQ5 syn scan (firmware cable coming tomorrow)

Cheers

post-21341-135948185879_thumb.jpg

Edited by knobby
  • Like 2

Suppose i should post a picture of my camping trip scope project from last year which started as an ETX 70, then through various buying and selling antics went - Celestron 4se - Sky watcher 127 mak on the 4se mount - to end up rather handsomely as the 127mak on an EQ5 syn scan (firmware cable coming tomorrow)

Cheers

post-21341-135948185879_thumb.jpg

Your place looks far to tidy, there should be ep's and star maps everywhere like mine

That is a serious mount.....and the weight of it is?

so that looks like the starter imaging mount and tripod then? very nice....

Mount is about 5kg (plus counterbalance) and the OTA is about 3.5kg

So it's now more of a grab n go slowly than a grab n go :D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

New arrival :-)

yjy4e6e4.jpg

C8 edge on Advanced VX mount.

been looking to upgrade my 150 Mak for a while but the EQ5 wouldn't take much more weight.

After many hours ebaying / buying and selling and a long chat with Steve (Blazar) it turned out that the above bundle is within my budget and allows for further scope upgrades (if the urge arises)

Well its substantially more solid than the EQ5, the Dec adjuster could lift a car without bending :-)

First impression is good but time will tell.

Only gripe is the balance of the ota. The supplied weight is just enough to balance and will struggle if I add a heavier diagonal or camera and the ota has to be fully forwards on the dovetail to balance... And it isn't really quite right like this, it needs to go about another 25mm to properly balance but that would need the safety stop taking off.

9apu2ude.jpg

So... In summary, I like it!

expect clouds :-)

p.s. sorry Steve!

at least I'll know all the niggles when you get yours

• Like 3

Nice choice with that, looks really good! I can't believe you got your new scope before I got mine  :Envy:

I feel sorry for the guy that buys my scope on Sunday, it's going to be cloudy for at least 2 weeks now...

Do you still have your SPC900 to try out with it?

Nice choice with that, looks really good! I can't believe you got your new scope before I got mine  :Envy:

I feel sorry for the guy that buys my scope on Sunday, it's going to be cloudy for at least 2 weeks now...

Do you still have your SPC900 to try out with it?

nah he upgraded to the ASIMC

@Craig... Funny you should say that, I went in fully mind made up on the C8... Saw the 9.25 in the flesh and so nearly got it :-)

F1 telescopes in Sittingbourne, they had it in stock and I was working that way last week.

@Dan, as Craig said, I sold every little bit and peice I could find to fund the scope so the SPC 900 went on eBay but I have an ASI120 mc that i use now

Edited by knobby

p.s. sorry Steve!

at least I'll know all the niggles when you get yours

No worries Gary.

Its like I now have a try before you buy ;-) Please report back on your first light. really still struggling between the 8 and basic 9.25.....regardless I still need to sort out power, so looking like it will be later this year before I eventually get sorted fully.  Tumble dryers just gone wrong as well....oh well...the stars will still be there when I get s new set-up.

Good luck with it.

• 4 weeks later...