Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

using new telescope

My husband and I bought my father a new celestron astromaster 114eq...we have no idea what we are doing, or how to use it or set it up. My father is not at all technical on anything and I have no idea how to use it. Can someone PLEASE help get this started so we can try to figure this out. We need the EASIEST instructions on how to get started....Thank you so much please send me a personal message via the forum.

Hi there,

Your scope has an equatorial - or "eq" - mount. An eq mount seems intimidating - lots of knobs and and such, and it does seems confusing at first. The primary thing to know is that what it does is, when aligned properly, is help you "track" objects with one slow motion control (or a motor drive) with your telescope across the sky as the Earth rotates. So first things first: Learn how to align the scope - one video of that was posted above; I also made on here which goes through the process step-by-step:

The next thing that gets asked after aligning an eq mount is, "Okay, how do I USE the thing now!?!?!" Fair question! It's not like a camera tripod with it's "up/down" and "swivel around" motions. I made another video showing how to do that. Pay attention to how I manipulate the black telescope in this next video; yours is like that one, and you'll want to do similar motions and adjustments to use it well.

And finally, it helps to understand telescopes, and how to know the sky well enough that you can find things in it. These series of videos may help you with additional information and understanding:

http://eyesonthesky.com/Videos/StargazingBasics.aspx

http://eyesonthesky.com/Videos/TelescopeBasics.aspx

There's lots of people here (including me, when I find the time!) to help you out. But those resources should get you going and help you understand what you have and how to use it. :laugh:

Archived