SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What to view next

Hi

So I finally got a chance to take my new Skyliner 150P outside last night to give it a proper test. I was treated to some very nice views of the real "crowd pleasers" out at the moment (Andromeda Galaxy, Orion Nebula, Jupiter and Pleiades) but now i'm stuck for what to view next.

I use the Sky Safari app on my phone which has a very nice "Tonight's Best" function that gives me a good idea what's out, but one thing it doesn't do is give me a way to order them by magnitude.

Given that I live in Portsmouth, with light pollution a fair issue, I won't be able to see everything on that list until I get out to a darker site and/or upgrade my aperture.

With that in mind, could anyone give me a few suggestions of what to seek out next? I'm sure there's still plenty available to me if I know what to look for.

Many Thanks

Lots of open clusters around, plus doubles and planetary nebulae

Double cluster

M36, 37 & 38

NGC457 is fun

M81 & 82

Double stars in Orion

Almach, another lovely double

The Blue Snowball

Beehive cluster

Saturn in the morning!

Plenty more up there too :-)

I use Observer Pro which does allow you to list by a number of different criteria, including magnitude

Stu

Archived