Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice needed please

I have narrowed my selection of scopes down to two now and would like your thoughts on which is better suited for me. I am like most people and want to be able to do it all planetary and deep space but realize that I cannot have it that way. For now I would do more planetary shots than deep space and want to be able to do meteor showers (not even sure you can do meteor showers with a scope). I have to be able to take the scope with me to where I would shoot from (I live in the heart of Mtn. Home streetlights everywhere around me). Okay Mtn. Home is not a big city but in three out of four corners of my lot neighbors have security lights. The shortest drive would be about an hour with 10 miles of dirt roads. I would like to be able to take to the bluffs with me which are about a two mile hike in and out.

• Celestron 8" Newtonian Advanced VX Telescope (might consider 6”)

• Celestron 8" SCT Advanced VX Telescope

Here are a few accessories that I plan to get also

• Celestron 12V 17AH Power Tank DC Power Supply

• Celestron SkySync GPS Accessory

• Celestron Eyepiece & Filter Accessory Kit

• And of course case and t adapter.

I am open to all and any suggestions; budget has to stay under $2.5k

I suspect the sct will have a longer focal length and hence smaller field of view but a high effective magnification for imaging..so maybe this might impact your choice...sct for planets and newt for dsos?

must say I am a visual guy but I am sure someone will correct me if I am not right..

mark

by meteor shots I assume you mean photography your best bet for that is a wide angle lens on a dslr mounted directly to a gem or tracking platform. The celestron 8 sct will be fine for planets but you are not going to hike very far with an 8inch sct, celestron vx, power pack etc.

Thanks rowan46 kinda figured that meteor shots would still be with my dslr but thought it would really look cool if they could be caught on a scope, guess I will just need to invest in some faster glass this year.

I kinda also figure that what I want in a scope would be a major pain to carry out to the bluffs but one can dream. The main info I am after is photograpphy with the scope I love the night sky and want to share it with others. Most of my co-workers think I am nuts I went camping in below freezing weather for a chance to shoot the Quadrantids only to have cloud cover move in. I did however end up with great shots of the elk herd.lol

Archived