Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice suprise in Orion!

Bowdie

Clear skies tonight and my first chance to get the Dob out since before christmas. Unusually (for the light poluted skies) I could see the 'sword' hanging from orions belt so I took the chance to see the orion nebula for the first time. I didnt really know what to expect but focused on a smudge in the viewer, working down from the 40mm until wow... the 6mm showed a great view and I learnt that there is a quadruple star system in the nebula! I had just assumed I would see a bright dust cloud and have now learnt to research objects before I look for them, though I felt like I had made a discovery, love it!!!

great sight isnt it bowdie the quadruple star system is commonly known as the trapezium. there are more than four (a,b,c,d) some are very faint but stars e and f should be viewable with your set up on a clear night. but alas ive not seen them myself yet.

clear skies...

I also had a first look at M42 last night (through my own scope anyway) thanks to the clouds finally clearing.

My modest 6" dob resolved A, B, C and D of the trapezium and some great nubulosity around them.

Just looking forward to seeing it again from a darker site, if the view from the middle of a city is anything to go by, it should be a real treat.

Archived