Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

lawtohimself

yeadon area

I have just got a skywatcher 130 & wondered if there are any groups in this area that meet up?

or does anyone know a good viewing spot around here.?

Thanks.

Try Bradford Astronomy Society . They are running an event at Otley Chevin for Stargazing Live http://www.wharfedaleobserver.co.uk/events/Otley/817939.Bradford_Astronomical_Society_Public_Observing_Session/ . That might give you an idea what the views from the Chevin are like. Their website is here http://www.bradfordastronomy.co.uk/ . It could be dark out by the Brimham Rocks http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brimham-rocks/facilities-and-access/ but parking may be a problem as it looks like the NT charge so there may be 'barriers'. Give us some feedback if you try any of these . Thanks

• Like 1

The main caf park at brimham is usually locked on a night but there is a decent free car park a bit further on past the main car park on the right(assuming your coming from the crossroads).you could try below almscliff crag near huby,decent quietish roadside

• Like 1

Ilkley moor would be a good place there's parking about halfway up near the cow and calf, and there's some ok places in Otley it's self theres a small field near me i use some times.

i would have thought the light pollution would be quite bad just above ilkley,it was last time i was up there climbing and got back during darkness

hmm i guess it would depend witch way your looking i've often found if i'm watching south when i'm in the field near me i can't see much because of light polution but if i watch north over the fields i can see so much more.

Hiya,

I live in South Leeds and sometimes drive out to Otley where I managed to find a good obs spot. 

Drop me a PM if you want an astro-meet? There may also be some other forum members I know that will probably come too.

Cheers Steve

Hey I'm in Calverley and I drive so can go any of the surrounding areas at short notice. Just getting into this for the first time, anyone want to meet up?