First Scope. Exited much?!!!

Well after copious amounts of reading and head scratching I've gone and done it! My first scope has been ordered.

Having read loads of advice, questions, reviews etc on here and elsewhere to the point that my brain was hurting, I finally came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a perfect, do everything scope for beginners (or even professionals). Especially on my meagre budget. So I had to ask myself what do I really want?

Well the first consideration as always is cost. So do I go with a new and warrented scope (always nice to have something shiney and new still in the packaging) Or plump for second hand in the hope I can get more for my money without ending up with a pile of junk? I don't have a lot to spend so I decided to look at second hand equipment in the hope of getting more scope for my money.

Secondly I decided I wanted quality. By this I don't mean an all siging all dancing 10k mini observatory. I simply mean the best quality scope I could get for the money I had to spend. I decided the best way to do this was to stick with one of the main recognised brands as there is an absolute minefield of low brand and unbranded rubbish out there, especially on ebay and the like.

As for function, portability for me is an absolute must. I read somewhere (probably on here) that the best scope is the one you use the most often. I have a bad back and lugging around a 10" Dob, while undoubtedly would give great results, would also mean I would most likely spend all of my time flat on the floor instead of looking through the eyepiece. I live near the beach and enjoy camping. So a grab and go scope would definitely be the best fit for me and fit in nicely alongside my other interests.

I also like the idea of Astrophotography. I know this can be an absolute minefield and also very costly, so I'm not expecting professional results at this stage, but the ability to at some point take basic pictures of what I'm seeing would be nice.

So I finally took the plunge on a ligtly used Celestron Nexster 4GT. This is an older model of the Nextar 4SE but as I understand it the same optics. It also comes with the Goto mount, which should definitely make finding things a bit easier for a novice like me.

It's a maksutov-cassegrain with 102mm Aperture and 1325mm Focal Length. OK I know I'm not going to be descovering a new nebular any time soon, but I've had a look of some of the videos posted on Youtube and I'm absolutely amazed at what this little scope can do.

Needless to say I can't wait to pick it up at the weekens and get stuck in.

Any comments and advice about the scope, getting started, or anything else most welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Martin

Hold on, you're saying you actuallty spent money on a Celestron Nexster 4GT?

Oh dear...

Kidding, very nice scope! Enjoy using it and welcome to SGL, this place is a wealth of information

Clear skies!

Archived