newbie help please

jared clark

I recently purchased a celestron astromaster 130 for my family to enjoy. I read a ton of reviews on this particular scope, but for 100 bucks on Craigslist I figured I could look past a cheap tripod and fairly shaky mount. After getting this scope home, I am more than pleased, and so are my two kids...all around good purchase for me.

I was able to find Jupiter and It's moons the first night out, and can't wait to.see more when I can get away from all of the light pollution from my neighborhood.

My main question I have at this time is what are some affordable eyepieces and barlow lens could I purchase at a fairly reasonable price that will help take this scope to the next level? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Jared.

Rule 1: small clear image is better than a big fuzzy image - don't overdo the magnification - 2x primary diameter in mm (ie 260x in your case) should be the absolute maximum you go for.

Rule 2: a prime eyepiece will give you a better result than an eyepiece plus barlow (the light has to pass through fewer pieces of glass) - however, in the early stages you are unlikely to notice this particularly.

Rule 3: the US always seems to be cheaper than the UK, so you could probably get better 'affordable' eyepieces than we could.

Rule 4: if you can try before you buy that is the best way. Do you have any local gatherings local to you? That is a great way to meet other astro people, many of whom will let you try one of their eyepieces in your scope to see how they perform, on the type of object you want to observe.

HTH

Archived