SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

MOUNT FOR TAL 2M

Hello All

I have had my TAL 2 for a few months and have now started to fiddle around with it. I still haven't got a scooby how to use it properly, and I am only now starting to realise how much the weather impacts on this hobby - It has been dire of late.

One thing I have established beyond doubt is that the pillar for the TAL2 weighs more than my Missus and it is definitely something I do not want to keep lugging about (the pillar that is).

I would like to keep it in the garden (again the pillar) and would like to get hold of a portable tripod so I can take the telescope somewhere where it is a bit darker. Ideally I want something i can throw in the boot of a car.

I suspect I could make a tripod, but I don't seem to have any spare time and am guessing that it could end up as expensive as buying one.

Does anyone know where I might get hold of a used/second hand tripod that will accommodate a TAL 2M - I don't mind if it is a bit tatty.

Any pointers greatfully received.

LUMPNUTS.

post-23175-0-99880500-1358118092_thumb.j

Are you wanting to use the MT-2C mount, but with a tripod instead of the pillar?

I've done so with the Tal tripod on many, many occasions. Removing the 4" O/D sleeve from the mount reveals a 3" O/D boss. This piece is common to all Tal mounts and fits to the tripod's cup with no modifications(in most cases). Even early threaded boss's fit. Sadly the Tal tripods are probably only going to be found 2nd hand and more often than naught with a Tal 100R/RS setup. They(tripods) were sold many years back for £85, which was a complete steal !

Another option, if money is of no concern, is to choose one of the large range of Berlebach tripods and add their Tal 3" I/D cup

http://www.berlebach...sprache=english

Third option, if you haven't already choked to death after looking at the above prices, is to source a metal legged H/D tripod. The surveyor type get good reports. Solid and heavy duty. Then, get a cup to fit/screw to the tripod top plate, machined up. A pretty easy job and shouldn't cost much. Add x3 threaded holes on the cup similar to the Tal Pillar. You can either use the x3 thumbscrews from the 2M pillar or use grub screws. I have a few drawings regarding this, that I could upload if you wish.

If you want to use another EQ mount for the scope, then do bear in mind the OTA's length and weight, when choosing one. There was a reason for Tal selling this scope with this mount. Another option is to mount the scope on a H/D alt/az mount. Again look into that mount's capacity.

Cheers,

Andy.

Gentlemen

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately finance is probably my biggest problem right now - I haven't finished coughing since opening the Berlebach website !

I hadn't given a thought as to how the telescope tube was going to attach to a tripod - I had assumed it was just going to lift off and fit straight onto a tripod - as if by magic.

Having looked at it a little closer I can see that this isn't going to happen. It looks as though a modified surveyors tripod might be a possible way forward. - Andy I am assuming the MT-2C Mount you refer to is the 'black bit' which fits ontop of the steel post.

I guess I lift this off complete with counter balance/motor etc to transplant into a tripod 'cup'.

And so begins my search for a surveyors tripod. If any of you stumble across one please give me a shout.

Andy if your drawings are easy to find I would be interested in seeing them.

Thanks

Lumpnuts

Gentlemen

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately finance is probably my biggest problem right now - I haven't finished coughing since opening the Berlebach website !

I hadn't given a thought as to how the telescope tube was going to attach to a tripod - I had assumed it was just going to lift off and fit straight onto a tripod - as if by magic.

Having looked at it a little closer I can see that this isn't going to happen. It looks as though a modified surveyors tripod might be a possible way forward. - Andy I am assuming the MT-2C Mount you refer to is the 'black bit' which fits ontop of the steel post.

Yes, the Russians refer to that type of equatorial mount as the MT-2C.

I guess I lift this off complete with counter balance/motor etc to transplant into a tripod 'cup'.

You can, but I'd recommend either taking off the weight first, or unscrewing the weight shaft with weight on. It's rather heavy ;)

And so begins my search for a surveyors tripod. If any of you stumble across one please give me a shout.

I'll keep an eye out.

Andy if your drawings are easy to find I would be interested in seeing them.

I'll hunt them out and post a copy up. Looking at the surveyor type tripods available, many seem to have a 5/8" screw protruding from the flat base. So it'd just be a case of a cup with an I/D of 75.5mm(to take the mount) and a threaded hole on the base to suit.

Thanks

Lumpnuts

Here's a pic showing the sleeve that fits over the 75mm O/D base of the MT-2C. On mine it was held to the base with only 2 grub screws!! I added a few more as I found it wasn't stable enough. There was noticable movement.

This sleeve lets the mount fit into the (roughly) 4" I/D pillar.

Archived