Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific eyepieces - get them while you can in the UK

Ay, I'm really sorry to hear this. As stated above, there has been some significant concern raised here in Spain about the said companies listed above who sell Explore Scientific in Europe. Effectively, in the astronomy forum Astronomo - probably the biggest in the Spanish language - the companies are 'black listed'.

I just hope if new folk are coming to this thread thinking about spending their hard earnt cash on a new ES EP, please think again, and think real hard before buying from the linked companies I've given above.

- - - - -

Here is a translation of an entry about Optical Systems et al at the end of last year at the forum Astronomo, scroll down to the penultimate if you want to read the original:

"I will tell you about my experience with this online store [Optical Systems], mostly to warn others of what trust can play in this store. As I live in Germany and the said company is in Germany, I bought a 10 mm eyepiece Vixen NPL as they had very interesting prices. Once purchased, it could not be sent to me at the time because they had no stock of that particular item. It's been about three months and 19 days now, and it still hasn't arrived....[Eventually] a letter from a consortium of lawyers arrives...something about insolvency....I had no way of understanding the letter, of course, because the German legal wording is difficult, very difficult. With the help of my working colleagues...t turns out that the company declares bankruptcy or something like that, and if I want, I can claim back my money, but in truth, it seems that I can give the money as lost....In optical systems, my experience has been bad. I've been following this thread and there are more than enough people who have also had bad experiences with them. I do not know if they are Rip Off Directly or merely that the treatment itself is bad, but they are certainly not to be trusted. Please, Be Warned!

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have contacted ES via their website :smiley:

Please don't be miffed if they are not receptive, the UK is a small market compared to the US and Germany and if they have an existing arrangement with TH then we must respect that.

We have begun discussions with ES. Our aim is to make ES eyepieces available here in the UK at prices that reflect those set in other countries. If we succeed you will be the first to know :icon_salut:

Steve

Well looky here

This arrived this morning

post-12107-0-82987400-1359025563_thumb.j

Now i live at No 42

This was Delivered to no 47

when he realised they were out he left it at No 48

What a shower of poop

Thankfully the EP was ok but i would advise other members to steer well clear of Optical Systems

You a correct.

But 6 days from Germany vs 3 from USA

Didn't exactly rush themselves

Even worse than that upon opening the es box that was un damaged. NO EYEPIECE

All I have now is packaging. Spent the last hour on the phone to UPS and sending emails to Optical Systems. Not happy

So did you get the eyepiece or not? I thought you said the EP was ok?

Unfortunately not

I was a bit premature in my post as I saw the state of the box.

I opened it and saw that the es box was un damaged and thought phew.

Then about 10 minutes later I went to remove the ep from the box opened it up and. missing

So I guess somewhere along the line someone fancied a new ep as it cannot just Fall out of the es box.

Well. They did, as I posted, provide me with an explanation to the delay, blaming it on computer error. Once this claimed error was said to have been sorted out (on the 21st) I got my eyepieces in 3 days. So giving them the benefit of a doubt I don't really have a problem with them so far. Unless one choose to believe they were lying about the computer error-delay.

Also, unless you know something I don't know there isn't a 3 day delivery of the ES 82's from the states at the moment since these eyepieces seem to be on back order everywhere over there (apart from the 11mm for some reason). The 100 degree pieces does seem to be in stock though.

Anyway, I am currently digging around a bit since the negative reports on this company have piqued my interest, so I will see what I can come up with regarding Optical Systems, their solvency and their relationship to ES Europe.

Steve

My ES 20mm 100 is arriving tomorrow apparently, direct from ES in the States. It was meant to be here today but Fedex advised it had just cleared customs, we shall see. I ordered it at 6pm on Monday........

Unfortunately not

Then about 10 minutes later I went to remove the ep from the box opened it up and. missing

So I guess somewhere along the line someone fancied a new ep as it cannot just Fall out of the es box.

On a different matter... does your 11mm say its nitrogen purged or argon purged?

All the pictures I see on the web show it as N2 but my 11mm piece says (Ar) argon purged.

I would upload a picture if I could figure out how to do that here :smiley:

Steve

I will let you know when I eventually receive it lol

Ah. I asked because of your sig, I assumed the eyepiece you didn't receive was a different one than the 11mm.

Sorry about your bad luck by the way lets hope they sort that out.

Steve

Sadly these sort of things happen, eyepieces going missing. My wife worked for a company selling Zeiss sports optics. They ordered 5x 2,500 Euro riflescopes, the parcel arrived from UPS, 1 riflescope and 4 empty boxes. I have just had a parcel from UK posted in mid November but thankfully nothing was missing apart from the poly-packing.

Sorry to hear this,

Alan.

On a different matter... does your 11mm say its nitrogen purged or argon purged?

All the pictures I see on the web show it as N2 but my 11mm piece says (Ar) argon purged.

I would upload a picture if I could figure out how to do that here :smiley:

Steve

All the pics that I have seen of the100 deg and 82 deg ES's appear to be nitrogen purged. The blurb on ES EP's claimed that Argon purging (as used in the ES 68 degree range) is better than nitrogen purging (apparently argon is a bigger molecule) so it would make sense to make argon purging uniform across the whole of the ES range

Well looky here

This arrived this morning

post-12107-0-82987400-1359025563_thumb.j

Now i live at No 42

This was Delivered to no 47

when he realised they were out he left it at No 48

What a shower of poop

Thankfully the EP was ok but i would advise other members to steer well clear of Optical Systems

You a correct.

But 6 days from Germany vs 3 from USA

Didn't exactly rush themselves

Even worse than that upon opening the es box that was un damaged. NO EYEPIECE

All I have now is packaging. Spent the last hour on the phone to UPS and sending emails to Optical Systems. Not happy

Sorry - I don't understand this... how come in one post you say that the eyepeice is OK and in the next it's missing? Either it's there or it isn't?

I could understand you saying that it was OK, and then finding some damage later on... but not that it was missing.

Ant

Sorry - I don't understand this... how come in one post you say that the eyepeice is OK and in the next it's missing? Either it's there or it isn't?

I could understand you saying that it was OK, and then finding some damage later on... but not that it was missing.

Ant

This answers it ant :):

Unfortunately not

HTH

All the pics that I have seen of the100 deg and 82 deg ES's appear to be nitrogen purged. The blurb on ES EP's claimed that Argon purging (as used in the ES 68 degree range) is better than nitrogen purging (apparently argon is a bigger molecule) so it would make sense to make argon purging uniform across the whole of the ES range

There, now you have seen one :smiley:

Sorry for the less than super quality pic, I was in a hurry.

Steve

post-28365-0-30573400-1359040924_thumb.j

This answers it ant :):

HTH

Not really.

If I had received a box that looked like that, the very first thing that I would do would be to open all the boxes (taking pictures), remove the EP check it, at least cosmetically, for damage... the photos would be the proof of the EP arriving damaged - so that I could still complain after a optical check.

Next would be to contact the sender and tell him the ep was missing...

I wouldn't have posted that the box was damaged but the EP was alright on a public forum, I wouldn't have taken the time to update my signature to include the new eyepiece without at least looking at my new purchase.

I'm sure that the EP was missing, I have no reason to doubt the OP, but the priorities in checking that my purchase was alright as fit for purpose seem all wrong to me.

Ant

We have begun discussions with ES. Our aim is to make ES eyepieces available here in the UK at prices that reflect those set in other countries. If we succeed you will be the first to know :icon_salut:

Steve

I really hope this works out, good luck guys!

Archived