Hello from a total newbe

Turtleboy

Just thought I'd say a quick hello.

I've been finding my way around the forum for the past few days and I have to say what a great resource. I have found some really great advice on here already. I've always been fascinated by the night sky but never owned a telescope or really learned what it is I'm looking at except for the obvious stuff like Orion and The Plough.

That feeling of awe you get from looking up on a clear night is what it's all about for me. The realization that you are a miniscule cog in a infinate machine and all the things you might be worrying about actually make absolutely no difference in the grand scheme of things.

I'm still looking for my weapon of chioce and I'm sure I will be asking for help and advice at some point, but in the meantime I'm looking forward to the next clear night to just get out there with my old binoculars and start learning.

Martin

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to be pedantic:

The realization that you are a miniscule cog in a infinate machine

What evidence is there for us being miniscule and therefore I suppose insignificant?

Show me another race of beings anywwhere in this vast galaxy/universe that has surpassed us.

Just to be pedantic:

What evidence is there for us being miniscule and therefore I suppose insignificant?

Show me another race of beings anywwhere in this vast galaxy/universe that has surpassed us.

I think I may need something more powerful than my old binoculars for that. :wink:

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum. Binoculars are a good way to learn the sky for sure and you might like to think about downloading a free piece of planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can read about here. It can be configured from your exact location thereby helping you to find objects and to also identify those which you discover. In addition, you might like to take a look at this site too as it has plenty of suggestions for things to find as well as general help on binoculars, mounts and accessories etc. Hope that helps.

Clear skies soon and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Hi Martin and welcome to SGL, when you have any future questions about equipment, you will find a good response if you post in the relevant sections provided, you are well covered for choice, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Archived