Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Uranium235

Sword of Orion (CCD/DSLR) Work in progress

Last night there was just enough time to get out and start work on my sword of Orion project. It didnt clear up until 11pm and the seeing was still a bit iffy, but i wasnt going to let that stop me since its been my only chance to get out this year.

This is the first time ive acually pointed the 1000d at M42, and I have to say its not a bad performer on this target. While that was snapping away, I used the 314 to collect a 2 pane Ha mosaic (the first of 6). I only got an hour per channel, but with all this snow coming (supposedly), it might be followed by some crisp, clear nights. Must remind myself to get some salt for the steps so I dont come a cropper on the way down the garden.

I layered the Ha with the DSLR red channel (50%) but that skewed the colour a bit more towards red. Also, I blended some of the Ha in as luminence to add a little more contrast.

Needs a lot more data, but at least its a start!

1000d= 12x600 + 10x120 (core)

Atik 314L+ = 6x600 + 10x60 (core) x2 panes (Ha)

ED80 (0.85x) x2, Atik 314L+, 10000d, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

First the Sword from the 1000d:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=81912

Next, add a little Ha to the Red and Luminence channel:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=81913

post-5513-0-68266800-1358098758_thumb.jp

post-5513-0-71366100-1358098857_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Those are working really well. Super resolution.

Ha is interesting on this target because it does significantly change the shape of some of the features. The 'man' figure in NGC1977 just isn't there, for instance, in Ha.

Olly

Stunning!, nice for you to get a bit of imaging time in, gets depressing dont it with the uk weather.

I have to get me a new DSLR to mod i think.

Those are working really well. Super resolution.

Ha is interesting on this target because it does significantly change the shape of some of the features. The 'man' figure in NGC1977 just isn't there, for instance, in Ha.

Olly

Thanks everyone :)

Olly, youre right about the structure. As I mixed the Ha in I could see it altering one or two of the features (reminded me of the Veil which has some very separate Ha/OIII components) - along with adding some dark globs towards the core that arent present in the DSLR version. Though that may be becuase I did some contrast enhancement on the Ha layer.

I wish I could say processing was straightforward, but it turned out to be a little more complicated as I ened up having to compost 4 layers to keep the core. I was trying to keep the trapezium, but narrowly failed. Hopefully I can resolve that issue one I have the full 6 panels (12 hours worth). I also need to have a look around at other v long exposures of this target just to check whether that blueness around L Ori is supposed to be there or not (it could have been caused by some wispy cloud going past).

Its probably only going to get more complex as I add the additional panels, but I know its worth it becuase M42 sits in a sea of Ha which a joy to look at. The problem is, the more you chase that sea of Ha, the more work you end up doing on M42 to keep it under control.

I still have much to learn!

Fantastic image, nice blending from the core to the outer regions and lovely resolution.

That is absolutely stunning - wonderful :)

Cracking image Rob :) An impressive amount of dusty stuff showing up with your 1000d; doubling the number of subs will really smooth it out..! You do seem to have successfully blended your Ha in without affecting the colour balance.

Cracking image Rob :) An impressive amount of dusty stuff showing up with your 1000d; doubling the number of subs will really smooth it out..! You do seem to have successfully blended your Ha in without affecting the colour balance.

Cheers Lewis, Im hoping to at least triple the number of DSLR on this one becuase there is still much Ha to capture with the CCD (about another 8 hours worth) - so I'll be constantly topping up the 1000d at the same time. Not sure how long its going to take as I need at least 2 full clear nights 9.30pm - 2am, as that is the only time I can see Orion from my location. Really could do with another Atik now :)

Really nice images Rob - I'm looking forward to seeing more of this it develops, and I'm particularly interested in how you get on combining CCD NB with DSLR colour.

Steve

Very nice Rob that is indeed a high res! I think the combination of colour + Ha has made a fantastic fiery nebula. You would imagine these Star birthing regions to be very hot and I like how the balance of narrowband and traditional colour an impression of an intense conflagration.

Topping up now as I type :)

A unexpected corridor of clear sky has appeared right over the midlands, so I hope to get at least another couple of hours. I'll be paying for this at work tomorrow.... zombie mode: on

Will have to keep an eye out for showers, bin bags on standby!

Excellent dedication :) That's what it takes in this country! A few potential clear patches over the next couple of nights, and your dual shooter certainly makes the most of it!