SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Purchased Televue 8mm plossl

lionel

That was a very kind gesture of Ghostdance, and goes some way of demonstrating the mutual comradeship, respect and trust held by so many here at SGL :grin:

I agree that eye relief of a Plossl may be tight for some, so too with an Orthoscopic eyepiece, but this is merely a feature inherent in the design. Stated as such, the level of satisfaction with these types of eyepieces probably has more to do with the design than the actual quality of the eyepieces.

On the issue of eye relief i find Ortho`s have a slightly better eye relief than a plossl  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the issue of eye relief i find Ortho`s have a slightly better eye relief than a plossl  .....that's what I thought. 

I'm still waiting for a decent break in the weather to further test my WO SPL. I can buy the 3mm SPL for my highest power, or  Barlow the 6mm for the same effect. I could also purchase the 3.2 BST to complete the set!

That said, I've been looking into Plossl and orthoscopics as a solution for  a truly flat field edge to edge planetary use EP,  solely for my f/6  Skyliner, and reading  that ortho's can have a greater eye-relief.  The WO SPLs give 20mm The TV 8mm gives me 6mm.

The Ortho will probably give around 80% of the eyepiece's focal length, so don't expect wonders. I don't think these eyepiece should be judged in terms eye relief or field of view, for after all, that is something simply inherent in the physics of them, but more the promise they give of great light transmission and sharpness across the field of view. They're certainly not everyone's 'cup of tea' and certainly not for all occassions, but for planetary, Lunar, white light solar and 'getting in there' on some DSOs, I feel observers will find the view rivaled by few premium eyepieces.

I'm not sure the 3mm is advisable in a 200p.

It gives 400x which is right on the limit of the 'scope.

It's amusing to 2x barlow the 6mm on the moon on a very steady night, but the eye lashes, floaters and dust specks on the EP do present a bit of a problem.

A barlow on your 8mm, now that is good! :)

Archived