Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

steve69

Please help with advice on filters???

Hiya all,im steve from Brownhills,England,

As a new member & new to astronomy im hoping for some good tips & advice.Im looking to buy a celestron astromaster 130EQ over the next week & i have been looking at the celsestron filter & eyepiece set....is this a worthwhile buy?? or would i be better off buying certain eyepieces on their own??.I would also like your views on the telescope please.thanx guys

• Like 1

Buy separate eyepieces you will find in the sets some of the eyepieces wont be used and you will probably never use the filters.

A warm welcome to SGL

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

Hello and Welcome to SGL!

Filters are not very useful with small aperture telescopes. You wont see any differences with filter and without.

• Like 1

The only filter i's suggest to start is a Moon filter. This can also be used to reduce glare of other planets.

I own a comparable scope and have five filters (two colours, LP, UHC-s and 25% Moon) but it is only the last two of these that I really use.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Steve, regarding your filter question, I agree with wookie and go the individual route, just do your homework on them.

• Like 1

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL! :smiley:

Enjoy the forum!

thanx,great to have some experienced people to chat too :smiley:

Hello and Welcome to SGL!

Filters are not very useful with small aperture telescopes. You wont see any differences with filter and without.

cheers for the advice :smiley: what would be the best eyepieces to invest in to start??

And consider the skywatcher 130 instead of the Celestron version. Its better all round.

Read this

Edited by Astro_Baby
  • Like 1

Sorry, misread the post.

I'd recommend the 18mm and the 12mm (if you were going to get a 2x Barlow, which essentially doubles the focal length of your scope, giving you double the magnification, so in effect, you would have 18mm, 12mm, 9mm and 6mm eyepieces)

Or the 18mm and the 8mm without a Barlow

Edited by Naemeth
  • Like 1

Sorry, misread the post.

I'd recommend the 18mm and the 12mm (if you were going to get a 2x Barlow, which essentially doubles the focal length of your scope, giving you double the magnification, so in effect, you would have 18mm, 12mm, 9mm and 6mm eyepieces)

Or the 18mm and the 8mm without a Barlow

Great,i will start shopping next week & let you know how it goes....clear skies i hope!!!,i have a great view of jupiter & orion with the naked eye,so hoping to start my journey there & see how i get on!! :smiley:

HI Steve and welcome to the forum. Agree with Mel above that the Skywatcher version is a better option. The worst thing with the Astromaster is the red dot finder which is both difficult to align to the scope and is way too bright to help preserve your night vision. Agree with the others on buying separate eyepieces. The sets look good value but everything that you don't use from it will be a cost and ultimately they don't work out as being such a good deal in the end. I would second Naemeth's recommendation of the BST range of eyepieces as they are good performers and are a good price at around £50 each. Not many people sell them but you could look here for starters.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

• Like 1

And consider the skywatcher 130 instead of the Celestron version. Its better all round.

Read this

http://stargazerslou...r-explorer-130/

Hi,thanx for that,would the skywatcher 130/900 EQ be the better option then??only im a bit confused with the 130m & 130p!!sorry if i seem a bit lost...i am!!! :smiley:

Hi Steve welcome to SGL ask as many questions as you need to as nobody will mind.

my advice if you havnt already would be to post in the "getting started with equipment" section of the forum as you will get a bigger response.

good luck.

• Like 1

The "P" means it has a parabolic mirror, the 130M will probably just be a spherical mirror, and the M probably stands for the mount having motors so it can track the object in the field of view. I'm not sure how stable the mount is though.

• Like 1

Hi

ive just purchased the 130p basically from what I have read and been told it is a better mirror. The p is for premium mirror I purchased a new eye piece with mine as well got it from first light optics total cost was 209 inc delivery

• Like 1

Hi Steve and welcome. Like you I'm new and incredibly I've changed my mind (and my final order!) about my first scope 3 times and finally ordered it yesterday. My biggest issue is wanting good aperture size, good optics but wanting a robust kit I can pack up and not be dominating my house! I went for a Meade ETX 125AT and Baader Hyperion Eyepieces. Waiting for it to arrive and give it a 'GoTo'... :smiley:

All the best

Walt

• Like 1

Hello and welcome from me too :smiley: I have the celestron astromaster and I used the BST explorer eyepieces - very happy with them. The post above was right about the finder though - replaced mine with a cheap red dot finder which is 100x more useful :grin:

• Like 1