Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurora Borealis

I'm new around here but I was in danger of highjacking someone elses thread so rather than do that I thought I would start a new thread.

I apologise if this is not in the right place to post these pictures.

I was fortunate enough to be camped out in the north of Norway last March when there was a decent display of the Aurora and some clear nights to go with it.

Aurora-Norway-5-3-2012.jpg

Unfortunately my Canon 5D broke down just a few days before my trip so these pictures were taken with an older 10D that a good friend lent me and a 17-40 f4 lens.

Northern-Lights-Norway-9-3-2012.jpgNorthern-lights-Norway-5-3-2012.jpg

Exposures were all around 15 seconds f4 at iso. 800 which seemed to deliver the best results. Aurora-Borealis-Norway-5-3-2012g.jpg

Northern-lights-over-Shelter-and-Fire.jpgNorthern-Lights-over-Norwegian-Shelter.jpg

And just a quick composite shot of my accomodation for a few of the nights.

Cold-Camping-under-the-Northern-Lights.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful shots, loving the trees lit by the bonfire. Looking forward to seeing more if you got some...

BTW, this type of image is more suitable for the Imaging - Widefield, Special Events and Comets section.

Thank you, I was really luck with both timing and conditions.

It's not to only time I've seen them but the first time I really fouled up my shots.

I did a lot of research and reading in between to be sure I never made the same mistake again.

Thanks for these. I am off to Finland next month with a borrowed Canon 5d mark i and I have been wondering what settings I'll need to set up. You have given me the numbers so that should save my fingers! Did you have any difficulty figuring out the 'infinity focus' point as you seem to have some nice sharp stars...? Great shots...

What I tried to do was focus on a nice bright star and then fix the barrel with a bit of gaffa tape.

When the lights are showing you tend to end up rushing about, trying to get the best viewpoints, so it would be very easy to knock the lens out of focus without noticing.

Good luck out there, keep the batteries warm. I usually taped one of those disposable hand warmers to the outside of the handgrip to slow the cooling.

It looks like we might still get some activity on the next solar rotation so lets hope we get clear skies. Post some up here if you get any results, I'd love to see them.

• 3 weeks later...

Stunning photos , I just wish I can see something as good in Canada in march this year. I need to buy a camera and lens first though. I was thinking of a canon 450 , not sure what lens though, I guess it will be trail and error .

John.

I take it you meant that you may hijack my earlier post asking for advice :grin:

These are absolutely awesome and tack sharp, which is what I'm after this time in Tromso. It was sooooooooooooooo windy (a bit like yesterday & today) with gusts exceeding 60/70mph and horizontal snow between clear bits that I'm sure some of that affected the camera's stability. Pity you're not planning your next trip in 4 weeks time - you could've been my tutor - but any other advice/tips greatly received.

Stunning - bet you're pleased as punch

Absolutely stunning shots. I can't imagine what it must have looked like to have actually been there!

I'm off to Tromso in 2 days so am keeping everything crossable well and truly crossed. Forecast at the moment is reasonably clear for the 3 nights I'll be there, but solar activity seems very flat at the moment, with very few active sunspots.

I thought this was supposed to be solar maximum?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived