Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I just discovered a galaxy. Where do I get my award?

Tonight has been my second outing with my sexy new Herritage 130p telescope. Earlier I played with it on some yorkshire hill top after freezing my proverbials off while my mates were climbing above Todmorden. But as always the viewing was better in my Lancashire back garden with more light pollution than you can shake a stick at.

Jupiter was super dooper and obviously the show stopper that it should be. But the highlight of my evening was spotting Andromeda from my garden. This was no small feat considering that I was surrounded by inconsiderate kitchen lights flooding my garden from all angles.

I learnt a valuable lesson, which was how was the 2x Barlow wasn't the way to go when going in blind with bright lights all around. I have wanted to see this for years and even though I saw a faint smudge from an artists 2B pencil, I discovered a galaxy.

Yay for me.

So, boys and girls, what should I pick for my next target?

Please make it achievable from a garden with limited sight of the skys and shed loads of light from neighbour's houses.

Tonight has been my second outing with my sexy new Herritage 130p telescope. Earlier I played with it on some yorkshire hill top after freezing my proverbials off while my mates were climbing above Todmorden. But as always the viewing was better in my Lancashire back garden with more light pollution than you can shake a stick at.

Jupiter was super dooper and obviously the show stopper that it should be. But the highlight of my evening was spotting Andromeda from my garden. This was no small feat considering that I was surrounded by inconsiderate kitchen lights flooding my garden from all angles.

I learnt a valuable lesson, which was how was the 2x Barlow wasn't the way to go when going in blind with bright lights all around. I have wanted to see this for years and even though I saw a faint smudge from an artists 2B pencil, I discovered a galaxy.

Yay for me.

So, boys and girls, what should I pick for my next target?

Please make it achievable from a garden with limited sight of the skys and shed loads of light from neighbour's houses.

M42 in Orion is an obvious choice and easier than M32.

You have my sympathies. I'm in a similar position. I was wondering last night whether I should try to put up some screens 'windbreak' style just to get rid of the dazzle and allow my eyes to acclimatize a bit more.

Congratulations on bagging your first galaxy.

The next obvious target is M42 / M43, the great nebula in Orion.

I would also go back to M31 in Andromeda. It has two companion galaxies, one of which (M32) is bright and small.

Another great target is the open cluster M35 in Gemini. It is one of the finest in the winter sky and has a smaller, feinter open cluster nearby (namely NGC 2158).

Two more galaxies to try for later in the evening are M81 and M82 in the same field of view in Ursa Major. These may appear quite feint, given you LP problem.

Happy hunting!

You have my sympathies. I'm in a similar position. I was wondering last night whether I should try to put up some screens 'windbreak' style just to get rid of the dazzle and allow my eyes to acclimatize a bit more.

Thats what I do to shut out the light form my garden. I made three 7' x 3' screens from plumbers pipe and covered them with black cloth. I joined them together with some wall fittings that hold the central heating pipes to the wall so that they can fold away when not in use. Its looks very much like an old fashioned hospital screen that goes aroung the beds.

Its light and very effective.

If you haven't already done so, buy a copy of "Turn Left at Orion" (the most recent edition). Its available cheaply on Amazon, and is the most frequently recommended guide to what objects can be found in the night sky, and, more importantly, how to find them.

yep m45 is absolutely gorgeous and by far the easiest thing to see up there, and you can literally spend hours teasing out additional stars from that cluster. In my newt, x30mag gets the whole thing in the FOV and it is amazing!

Castor is a good one to try and split, as are several other doubles - plus light pollution isnt such an issue for splitting doubles - but it is for seeing fuzzies!

Archived