Narrowband

Jupiter 12 January 2013 20:36 UT

Brinders

Hi,

Jupiter captured earlier this evening using a Celestron Neximage connected to a Celestron CPC 925 GPS using a 2.5x barlow.

900 frames captured using Sharpcap and stacked in Registax 6 using linked wavelets.

Thanks for looking,

Brinders

post-994-0-06744100-1358030810_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Stev74, the Neximage uses the same Sony CCD as the Philips NC900 web cam, an old favourite for imaging the planets and moon. You really do need good conditions and a lot of patience to get the best out of it, but until I can afford something better, it will have to do.

Brinders

Nice image Brinders maybe contrast / brightness up a little, lot of detail in the belts good capture.

Was that @ 5fps ? you could probably go to 240 seconds (someone may disagree but from what i have read if seeing is pretty good then this should be possible without rotation showing), that will give you another 300 frames, i think with that camera 5fps is the fastest without compression kicking in i may be wrong ?

Keep it up though good work, i almost bought one of these as well btw & the 9.25 scope, very good on planets, are you using the CAM mount (same as mine ?) if so how are you finding it when its loaded up ?

Hi Ewan,

The image was captured at 10fps (the camera has had the firmware update available from the Celestron web site). I have occasionally captured for up to two minutes when the mount is behaving itself (the CPC is an alt-azimuth mount) but last night I couldn't get it to stay on the highly magnified target for more than 90 seconds before Jupiter began to drift out of the frame. As for the brightness and contrast. the result you see was the one I was happiest with to enable as much detail to be seen without the brighter areas becoming burned out.

Brinders

If you can tweak the scope to get Jupiter back to the middle of the frame when it starts to drift out then that should be fine. Registax sometimes has problems with that sort of thing, but pre-processing with PIPP can sort that out.

James

Was that @ 5fps ? you could probably go to 240 seconds (someone may disagree but from what i have read if seeing is pretty good then this should be possible without rotation showing), that will give you another 300 frames, i think with that camera 5fps is the fastest without compression kicking in i may be wrong ?

Certainly with the SPC900 there's compression once you go over 5fps. It's an adaptive system though, so 10fps has a low compression rate and it gets worse as the frame rate gets faster. In my experience, 10fps gives the best balance between frame rate and total number of frames to stack.

James

Wow, nice job! I've not had much luck on my first two outtings with the Neximage 5.

My video all appears greeen - also the first batch of video were all at the lowest res setting - even although I had tried various on-screen resolutions.

I had to change the file save settings - which were defaulting - regardless of what I set on-screen.

Second outting I shot lots of video at higher resolution settings and set my limits at 2,000 frames.

But, all the resulting 3.99GB AVI's (there seems to be some kind of limit) was unloadable in Registax, and even Quicktime will only play a few seconds of it.

So back to the drawing board. I will try to make a bigger image next time and shoot at 720 x 1080 with a 1200 frame limit.

Great image - well done!

Second outting I shot lots of video at higher resolution settings and set my limits at 2,000 frames.

But, all the resulting 3.99GB AVI's (there seems to be some kind of limit) was unloadable in Registax, and even Quicktime will only play a few seconds of it.

A lot of avi's over about 3.6Gb - 3.8Gb won't play in WMP nor load into AS!2 or Registax.....because of a missing index block, but by loading/opening the offending avi in VirtualDub the avi will be repaired and then enabling "File > Save as AVI" (calling the avi you are about to save "blah-blahcopy.avi") and letting Vdub do its' thing, this copy avi will then play in Win Media Player as well as be able to be loaded into AS!2 or Registax atc...

Hello Brinders, Happy New Year

Long time no speak :-)

Your Jupiter image is superb :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Hi David,

All the best for 2013 to you and yours and thanks for the kind comments.

A combination of ill health and poor weather has curtailed much of my astronomy over the past twelve months, I'm hoping 2013 will be better. Anyway, good to hear from you again - still making those superb sketches of yours? I do hope so; I'll take a look around the forum later.

Very best wishes,

Brinders

In addition to the Revelation Astro, I have two TAL barlows and the 2" Skywatcher 2x ed barlow. I think the Revelation barlow is superior to any of those others in my collection. Indeed I can't remember when I last used the TALs, other than to use the body as an extension tube.

Brinders

Hi,

I have the Revelation 2.5x Barlow same as you, but last time I tried Jupiter i used my Televue 3x, that is also very good, problem is that it gives nearer 3.5x with my DFK and on a C11 and at f/l 2800 that is a massive 9800mm at f/35, probably too much unless the seeing is exceptional.

I am not sure what the 2.5 gives, let's say it is 2.5x which makes it f/l 7000 and F/25, a bit more manageable. Of course this is where the Televue Powermate 2.5 scores, it keeps the magnification to 2.5 no matter how far the camera is from the lens.

The best picture of Jupiter I have made was with a Dob at f/l 1200mm F/4.8 and a Powermate 5x. The Powermate probably gave around 5.5x making it f/l 6600mm and F26.

Archived