SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

orion nebular 1st time, andromeda ?

Ive just seen the orion nebular for the first time OMG. Its amazing , however im finding it very hard to find andromeda M31 ,iknow where it is but still no luck . ive got a skywatcher 130 on a dob. so im star hopping just so that i can learn the skies . What am i looking for when looking for andromeda i see a few stars but cant work out where it is and which one, Please excuse my spelling and grammar as my fingers a freezing as ive been out in 0c for the last 3 hr. BBBBBBBBBRrrrrrrrrr

Good for you. I must admit I've been trying to get andromeda for a while and managed to get it in focus last night with the aid of the iPad being used as an inclinometer .. Patience and you'll have it under your belt..

Mike

Worth braving the cold for 3hrs of Sky - If u can find the great square of pegasus, then quite easy to star hop out to Andromeda - quick goolge will help u find this, or stellarium is very useful - more of a wide grey fuzz without a long exposure photograph, but you will know it when you find it.

Orion is great and so much to see!

I have always had trouble locating Andromeda , use stellarium , your looking for a grey smudge rather than a star ,once your close move the scope very slowly or even better put a star at one edge of your view then move it to the other side and spend a few seconds at the eyepiece to locate it , if not move across the sky a scopes worth again. chances are you'll miss it if you pan across the sky

+1 for Stellarium. As Jake mentioned, once you can locate the square of Pegasus then Andromeda is quite straightforward to locate. Bear in mind, though, that you wont see a huge amount of detail. You'll probably see the core and some hazey light extending from it. Happy hunting and use a low power EP.

northwalesparry - I'm in exactly the same position as you. I found the Orion Nebula last night for the first time ever on what was only my 3rd time taking my scope out. What a view! I spent the better part of 2.5 hours simply star hoping and exploring the sky. Spent quiet a while on Jupiter and it's 4 moons but couldn't track down the Andromeda Galaxy even with the help of an Ipad App. I've spen this afternoon getting to know Stellarium and I'm hoping for better success the next clear night. Good luck!

Andromeda is a bit of a tough constellation to learn. Its not as distinctive as the likes of Orion, Cassiopeia, Pegasus, Auriga and its constellation lines vary a lot between sky charts etc.

Therefore the advice above about using the great square of Pegasus as a starting point is good. I usually start at Alpheratz, and then take two hops to Mirach and then two hops 'right' to find the galaxy. The view will be best early evening when its highest in the sky.

northwalesparry - I'm in exactly the same position as you. I found the Orion Nebula last night for the first time ever on what was only my 3rd time taking my scope out. What a view! I spent the better part of 2.5 hours simply star hoping and exploring the sky. Spent quiet a while on Jupiter and it's 4 moons but couldn't track down the Andromeda Galaxy even with the help of an Ipad App. I've spen this afternoon getting to know Stellarium and I'm hoping for better success the next clear night. Good luck!

let me know ow you get on

orion neb (m42) is really obvious, m31 as with any galaxy`s will show as a grey smudge, it really depends on how light polluted your skys are and make sure your eyes are addapted to the dark, my scope is twice the apperture of yours and i struggled to find it, but i am 4m from a street light, i found m81 and m82 before andromida, that is a good view on a wide field eyepiece you can get both galaxys in the same view (for me that was a 2" gso 30mm ep on a 1200mm focal lenth)

Orion started me on this journey only a few weeks ago. It's an awesome constellation and I think it will be forever special for me. The nebula is great even through bins. So looking forward to getting a scope.

Thanks for sharing and 3 hours in these conditions is dedication!

Hi again, sorry to revive an old thread

I have the skyliner 200p i have the 25 and 10 mm lens ,

i am going to attempt to find Anromeda tonight, will i be able to locate it with the 25 ? or will i have to use the 10mm?

I will try and point the finderscope in the right spot and hope for the best when i look closer, any tips please?

Use the 25mm.

I have your scope's little brother the 150mm and it's much better observed with a wider field of view.

The galaxy itself actually covers six times the width of the full moon but depending on LP you'll probably just see the bright core.

Oh and I personally locate it using Cassiopeia because I have a restricted view to the west and so cannot see all of Pegasus.

The "lower" of the two Vs of Cassiopeia points roughly at it.

I found it helpful to locate it in binoculars first, it should look like a feint smudge.

Archived