Narrowband

Photographer takes to the sky.

Waylandscape

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. A quick glance at the imaging sections and in particular the equipment signatures of many there will inform you of what kits seems to work best. There are always other ways of doing things that with differing degrees of success but the key thing that ensures astrophotography is more about fun than frustration, is consistency. The HEQ5 and NEQ6 mounts appear to have a proven track record in their performance and reliability and at their price point offers great value for money. There will always be bigger and better mounts and naturally an even bigger price tag to go with them and so Steve's book is an excellent way of obtaining that necessary overview that will help you decide on how deep you want to go. The mounts previously mentioned also have a great feature built into them that allows for 'autoguiding'. This is where an additional smaller scope is trained onto a nearby star to the object being imaged and through the autoguider's electronics, it is able to micro adjust the mounts motors to keep this star held within its cross hairs and thereby by default, keep the main imaged target in the centre of the main imaging camera sensor. The above Skywatcher mounts allow this function to take place via an auto guiding port built into the side of the mount and is such a useful function, especially if you are having to set up your imaging kit or 'rig' for each imaging session, which in itself can introduce tracking errors. Ultimately you are doing the right thing in joining us here and asking questions and it is true to say that imaging at the beginning does have a steep learning curve, it soon levels out as your experience grows and you produce some nice images.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum

James

P.s Nice images by the way!

Thanks Waylander - caught your other excellent post and details on the Norwegian trip - me thinks 'camp out' sounds a little modest, this looks pretty much like a full blown survival trip! Also the info on Castlerigg, spent a lot of time up their in the 80s & early 90s but had never come across this - will try and catch this first hand if up that way again.

Thanks Waylander - caught your other excellent post and details on the Norwegian trip - me thinks 'camp out' sounds a little modest, this looks pretty much like a full blown survival trip! Also the info on Castlerigg, spent a lot of time up their in the 80s & early 90s but had never come across this - will try and catch this first hand if up that way again.

Part of the reason for that trip was training to be out in such places come what may.

Camp-Quinzhee.jpg

This was actually the cosiest accomodation I had for the fortnight apart from the hotel that I dossed in for the nights near the airport.

Wild camping is one of my other hobbies and it goes hand in hand with my photography but I'm not sure I'll be able to hump a scope around with me as well.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad you like the webs sites.

They've become a labour of love I suppose but it gives me somewhere to put the pictures I take.

Part of my developing interest in astronomy is likely to become part of that output.

I think the relationship between the landscape and the sky will always be important in my pictures.

Archived