Narrowband

Richard Feynman: A Comprehensive list of Books & Videos

On 01/10/2016 at 01:18, Putaendo Patrick said:

Great post - thanks for taking the time to assemble and write up the list.

Another useful source (with a fair amount of overlap) is the SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System which provides abstracts of some 300 works by Feynman or about him and/or his research. Quite a lot of the articles, dating back to 1939, are available as downloads.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-basic_connect?qsearch=Richard+Feynman&version=1

That's great - thanks!

On 05/03/2017 at 13:13, RedCanary said:

Brings back memories; the Feynman lectures on Physics were the first advanced physics books I bought, on the recommendation of our lecturers, at University. I sold them on when I graduated but have since caught up with them on-line.

I see you're in Norwich.  I did my first degree at UEA when younger and am hoping to move back to Norwich in the next couple of months.  It's a small world.

Edited by Feynman

• 8 months later...
On 20/01/2018 at 01:18, laowhoo said:

Just ran across this old gem of he and Hoyle discussing revelation/inspiration

or Eureka! moments. Just give it a soft pat, and...

I've watched that a number of times. The contrast between characters of two brilliant minds is very prominent. One a very British eccentric, often alone in his ideas, the other a very different ecentric, a true genius. Yet often distracted by his very human frailties. 

I sometimes wonder what Feynman would have/could have discovered if he had focussed his entire being on Physics. 

Fred Hoyle was probably denied the Nobel for arguing for Jocelyn Bell, and against their refusal to award her. Feynman's frailties made him the physicist he was, and these were more than bongos and strip clubs

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5876304/10-scientific-and-technological-visionaries-who-experimented-with-drugs

I doubt he'd agree, respectfully...

Edited by laowhoo
  • Like 1

All too human. I woulda liked to have been a fly on the hallway wall b/t Feynman and Murray Gell Mann. But when I learned what might have been the reason for Hoyle being snubbed--advocating too vociferously for Bell--well, that's about as human as it gets, and as fine as a person can be IMHO. Cheers!

Edited by laowhoo
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/01/2013 at 07:56, Feynman said:

Well since I will no doubt be seeking help from others on the observational and imaging side of things in the coming months, I thought I would contribute to the site in a way that I am able to by sharing a list of Feynman links that I composed for an Open University forum (and also as a FB note) about a year ago. 

Thanks. I have nowhere near the complete list. In addition to Surely You're Joking and What Do You Care, I have the Easy and Not-so-Easy Pieces, The Character of Physical Law, and the Lost Lecture. Here' the story, though.

I knew about Feynman from a classmate in high school physics (1967) and often saw the 3-volume set in bookstores, but never had the means or motive to buy them. But I did browse...  Along comes the wife and then the baby... When the kidlet was about five or six, Surely You're Joking came out in paperback and was new in the store. I read a few pages and decided that it was perfect for bedtime stories. I mean, we did the usual Grimm's stuff and Barenstain Bears and Winnie-the-Pooh, but also Edith Hamilton's Mythology.  The story of Feynman fixing radios was ideal. I did have to start it twice to overcome the objections to science at bedtime, but it got her hooked and we read that and What Do You Care when it was published. Fast foward 30 years and I got her the graphic novel.