SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

School Poem To Remember Planets Order.

K3ny0n

This is what I was learnt in school to remember the nine planets in order:

Many - Very - Energentic - Martians - Jump - Straight - Under - Nine - Planets.

Mercury - Venus - Earth - Mars - Jupiter - Saturn - Uranus - Neptune - Pluto.

M - V - E - M - J - S - U - N

Ugh, I need a new motto.

Suggestions..

P.S - I do remember them without a poem! :grin:

Edited by K3ny0n
  • Like 1

"My Very Elderly Mother just Sat upon Nine porcupines", that used to be an old standard mnemonic for the Planets. Now I suppose we shall have to change it with an ending something like "Sat Upon Norman" with Pluto being downgraded. Very useful though, I made up my own for remembering the main stars in the Pleiades : "My Mothers Elderly Aunt Alice plays the Cello atrociously". Merope , Maia, Electra, Atas, Alcyone, Pleione, Taygeta, Celaeno, Asterope. you can do it for anything you want to remember, helps the little grey cells, especially when age is getting the better of you lol :)

John.

• Like 1

My Very Easy Method: Just Say "Universe Nine Planets"

So this is no use anymore either. I only just realised it's wrong too since it says "universe nine planets". Tut tut, lies to children.

The only one I know is for resistor colour codes.

I was lazy here. My bro had a long and convoluted one, I just remembered it as "Big Bloke (richard of york gave battle in vain) Silver Gold". I think...

Am I mad or isn't it simply easier to just remember the planets?

Remembering a mnemonic and then transposing the initial letter into the planets seems like hard work. Twice as much to learn.

This was when I was in school 5/6 year old.

Rob.

I never knew any mnemonics for such things. I either remember them. Or not :)

The only one I know is for resistor colour codes.

James

James wasn`that something like "Black Birds Run Over Your Garden Biting Visible Grey Worms, (black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue,violet, grey, white). I have dabbled in electronics too on and off over the years with Ham Radio :)

John.

Am I mad or isn't it simply easier to just remember the planets?

Remembering a mnemonic and then transposing the initial letter into the planets seems like hard work. Twice as much to learn.

Not really, remembering a silly rhyme seems to stick in the memory banks better than an individual string of names or colours, then when you recall it, the brain seems to trigger a response to the first letter of the words, transposing them into what you were trying to remember and in the correct order. That is how it works for me and I presume a lot of other folks as well :)

John.

I was trying to think of one to remember the first 5 hydrocarbons for chemistry class, we came

Up with Most Earthlings Prefer Big Pizzas.

I could do with a hand with resistors. Mrs is an electrical engineer and is always testing me, I'm only just getting into electronics though so keep it simple :) xxx

I was trying to think of one to remember the first 5 hydrocarbons for chemistry class, we came

Up with Most Earthlings Prefer Big Pizzas.

I could do with a hand with resistors. Mrs is an electrical engineer and is always testing me, I'm only just getting into electronics though so keep it simple :)

The mnemonic I know for resistors almost certainly wouldn't be allowed here, but I have just googled and found:

Big Boys Race Our Young Girls, But Violet Generally Wins

for

Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Grey White

where the associated numbers start at zero (so black is zero, brown one and so on). Google also suggests that a teacher has been dismissed for teaching a boy the version I know. Schools were different thirty years ago :)

You only really need to remember the first four hydrocarbon prefixes; after that they follow the same pattern as polygon names, so you have methane, ethane, propane, butane and then pentane, hexane, heptane and octane (and similarly methanol, ethanol, propanol, butanol, pentanol, hexanol, heptanol, octanol for the alcohols) following the same pattern as pentagon, hexagon, heptagon and octagon as you add one more carbon atom each time.

James

Man very early made jars stand up nearly perpendicular.

The mnemonic I know for resistors almost certainly wouldn't be allowed here, ... Google also suggests that a teacher has been dismissed for teaching a boy the version I know. Schools were different thirty years ago :)

My older brother taught me that version nearly forty years ago. Today, it should be completely unacceptable everywhere, in or out of school. No partial measures. Just look at what has dominated the news the last few weeks.

For years, I have taught the resistor colour code to university students, and I will be doing so again in a couple of weeks. I do not and will not mention this version. The omission is not just for the sake of political correctness or worry about disciplinary actions.

The mnemonic I know for resistors almost certainly wouldn't be allowed here, but I have just googled and found:

Big Boys Race Our Young Girls, But Violet Generally Wins

for

Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Grey White

where the associated numbers start at zero (so black is zero, brown one and so on). Google also suggests that a teacher has been dismissed for teaching a boy the version I know. Schools were different thirty years ago :)

You only really need to remember the first four hydrocarbon prefixes; after that they follow the same pattern as polygon names, so you have methane, ethane, propane, butane and then pentane, hexane, heptane and octane (and similarly methanol, ethanol, propanol, butanol, pentanol, hexanol, heptanol, octanol for the alcohols) following the same pattern as pentagon, hexagon, heptagon and octagon as you add one more carbon atom each time.

James

Hydrocarbons I've got sorted now I think, resistors however are a different story!! I don't really understand these things at all I need some educating on electrical components x

Hydrocarbons I've got sorted now I think, resistors however are a different story!! I don't really understand these things at all I need some educating on electrical components x

I did AO level electronics nearly thirty years ago, mostly as a bit of light relief during the first year of my A levels. For my liking there was far too little about designing circuits and to much about the theory (at the end of the course I'd have had no trouble explaining how semiconductors worked, but I'd have struggled to design a circuit that used more than a couple). Now I'd really like to have a better understanding of the practical side, both to able to design circuits and to look at other people's work and understand what they've done, but I've struggled to find many resources to help teach myself. I can't help wondering if these days there just aren't that many people learning about electronics outside an academic or work environment.

James

I did AO level electronics nearly thirty years ago, mostly as a bit of light relief during the first year of my A levels. For my liking there was far too little about designing circuits and to much about the theory (at the end of the course I'd have had no trouble explaining how semiconductors worked, but I'd have struggled to design a circuit that used more than a couple). Now I'd really like to have a better understanding of the practical side, both to able to design circuits and to look at other people's work and understand what they've done, but I've struggled to find many resources to help teach myself. I can't help wondering if these days there just aren't that many people learning about electronics outside an academic or work environment.

James

When I was in high school (12 years ago) we were taught basic electronics, how to wore a plug, simple circuit designs and the differences in parallel or series circuits, now theres nothing at all, even the science course I'm doing now doesn't go into electronics, it's such a shame as there will be a lot of future generations who will be lost if a fuse blows. I was building simple circuits Friday using resistors and LEDs I love it but don't understand it very well, I too would like to find somewhere that taught the practical side of it all, I'd like to pass it on to my daughter as well, x