Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Low Powered Eyepiece advice

Paladin

Hello

I would like some advice about a reasonably priced low-powered WA eyepiece for my f10 Nexstar 6se.

Am I right in thinking that with a 1¼” EP the maximum usable f/l is about 32mm? Also, should this size be reduced as the AFOV goes up? Will my choice be limited by my light-polluted location, with regard to contrast, etc.?

I should also like your recommendations for specific EPs. Steve of FLO suggests Baader Hyperions, but 21mm is the longest f/l they do.

As I shall be visiting New York in December, I might consider bringing something back. Does anyone know of a decent Astro shop in NYC?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi Paul

Tbh the best eyepiece i have used in my C8 so far has been a TV 24mm Panoptic,now i know you said reasonably priced but if your going to the states later this year i would seriously consider it with the exchange rate being so good at the moment.

It gives you a 32mm fov but with a bit more magnification.

AS i understand it 32mm is about as big as you can go in your sct without vignetting becoming more apparant,but others will correct me if im wrong.

HTH

If you are sticking to 1.25 inch eyepieces, the maximum field of view will be limited by the internal diameter of the eyepiece barrel. So you can have a 24mm 1.25 inch eyepiece that gives a 68 degree field of view (eg: the Tele Vue Panoptic) wheras the maximum field of view that a 32mm 1.25 inch eyepiece is around 50 degrees (eg: a 32mm plossl). Both these eyepieces will show you the same amount of sky but the 24mm will do so at a higher magnification which also will help with the light pollution a bit by darkening the background. You can of course get 40mm 1.25 inch eyepieces but, again because of the barrel limitation, the max field of view of a 40mm is 43 degrees - which is a bit like looking down a well !.

I agree with Kai Herb that the 24mm Panoptic is a superb eyepiece, IMHO the best 1.25 inch wide field eyepiece out there.

John

Something I am aware of, but never witnessed, is the way the telescopes central obstruction can become visible as a shadow when using long focal length eyepieces with scopes f10+ Does anyone have direct experience of this?

Something I am aware of, but never witnessed, is the way the telescopes central obstruction can become visible as a shadow when using long focal length eyepieces with scopes f10+ Does anyone have direct experience of this?

Steve,

I have experienced this using a 38mm 70 degree 2inch eyepiece (a clone of the Rigel 38mm) in an 8 inch SCT when looking at the moon. It was an indistinct effect but definately there. Only with the moon though.

John

As I shall be visiting New York in December, I might consider bringing something back. Does anyone know of a decent Astro shop in NYC?

We went to NYC earlier this year and went to Adorama - http://www.adorama.com Be warned though, the telescope department is actually accessed via an entrace to the side of the shop, and up in a lift. Go into the shop and ask and they'll show you (we thought we were in the wrong place!!). Mike was very helpful. They don't stock everything in the shop, and their mail order depot is in NJ, so if you're not there long enough to order something and be able to pick up on another day I suggest to contact them beforehand so they can get it in the shop for you.

We bought some TV items at half what they sell for here.

HTH

Helen

celestron 40mm 2" plossls are nice..

yeah I know 2" but while in the states you could pick up a 2" visual back for your celestron pretty cheaply. Ie take the UK price and just stick a dollar sign in front of it.

I think I paid $10-15 for a visual back to 2 " push fit converter and around $70 for a decent 2" diagonal. But the rewards of using the 2" is worth it.

Whilst there grab anything else astro you need, such as fine focusers, telescope covers, eye pieces etc it will pretty much all work out cheaper.

Hello

Many thanks for the replies to my query.

Adam & Steve: I’d forgotten about the new Hyperion 24mm, it looks promising. I trust the price is the same as the others in the range.

Ian: I’m not sure I want to get involved with 2” just yet. It opens up a whole new can of worms.

Kai, John & Gordon: I had previously dismissed the idea of a premium eyepiece on grounds of cost. However, my forthcoming trip to the States gives me an ideal opportunity, the temptation of which is hard to resist. The TV Panoptic 24 sells for about $250 over there. Of course, I’ll have to get budget-approval from my finance director. Perhaps it can be a Christmas, birthday & anniversary present all in one go!! (For the next five years)!

Helen: Thanks for the info on Adorama. I had in fact already looked at their website; their store is only about a mile from our hotel. Are the shop prices the same as the web prices? And what about local sale tax, etc.?

I shall post when I get back. Thanks, again.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I think the prices were the same at the web, except you do need to add local sales tax. Still worked out MUCH cheaper though! Did get my rucksack emptied by US security at the airport when flying home though - the 2" eyepiece looked a bit odd on the x-ray :shock:

Helen

Yes, I get this with my f/5 Newt and my 24mm Speers-Waler or my 32mm Celestron Plossl. I mainly see it when I am setting up in the early evening. It isn't a big deal when the sky gets dark. Don't know about longer f/l scopes.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I know that this is an old thread, but I thought that I would let you know what I decided to buy.

When David Hinds reduced the price of the Baader Hyperions, I bought the new 24mm. This meant I could spend my money on other eyepieces while in New York. There was a guide book in our hotel which contained an advert for Adorama, and also a voucher for a free camera bag worth $40 for any purchase over $150. This is the shop that Helen suggested I should go to.

On our first full day, after a miles walk in the freezing cold , we came away with 3 Tele Vue Plossls, 15mm, 20mm & 25, plus a Celestron Ultima Barlow and a free camera bag.

On our last day in the Big Apple, my wife suggested that this was the last chance to take advantage of the favourable exchange rate. You can imagine that I did not need too much persuasion to go back to Adorama, produce my credit card and buy a Panoptic 24mm, (and another free camera bag for my friend)!!

I think that I now have an excellent set of high quality EPs for about half the UK cost, although I suspect others would possibly spend the money differently.

Incidentally, if anyone is going to NY, I have 2 more vouchers for the free camera bags. Just PM me with your address and I will send one to you.

Paul

Archived