SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M1 sometimes you just have to laugh!

Pete Presland

as the title says sometimes you just gotta laugh! :laugh: i have never imaged the crab before, so wednesday night set everything ready to get an hour or two of subs.

the tracking was going nicely, set the remote timer on the camera and away she goes! popped back into the house to check out mr brian cox and co for a while.

on my return to the obsy everything was very dark quite :huh: laptop dead, camera still clicking away, nooooooooooooooo diaster forgot to turn on the mains to the laptop :icon_redface: what an idiot!

to add insult to injury i didnt take any calibration frames to process what few subs i did get, still here is the 6x120secs stack that i did manage.

post-5271-0-84369800-1357938327_thumb.jp

So long as the exposure times are the same and the ambient temperature is similar (± 5°) you can use the same darks. If you leave the camera attached to the telescope between sessions, you will probably be able to use the same flats as well. So just stack them all together.

Thats great:), definately still worth posting despite your mishap:D I'll be well chuffed if my attempt at the crab looks as good as this with my new 200p, my first attempt at it looked like a small grey oval fuzzy smudge!

Very nice - particularly for the little data :) Seems a lot of us had the gremlins. In my case I put it down to lack of practice and the long time since the last clear skies plus suddenly and unexpedly getting a few clear hours. Anyway, seems we did salvage some reasonable images :)

I put it down to lack of practice and the long time since the last clear skies plus suddenly and unexpedly getting a few clear hours.

I think it is, Gina. When I've been out fairly regularly everything just seems to flow, but when I'm struggling to manage once a month I find I forget bits of kit, set things up in the wrong order and generally take longer to get settled in. I could write a "plan" for everything, but this is supposed to be a hobby, not some kind of military operation.

James

Very nice - particularly for the little data :) Seems a lot of us had the gremlins. In my case I put it down to lack of practice and the long time since the last clear skies plus suddenly and unexpedly getting a few clear hours. Anyway, seems we did salvage some reasonable images :)

i think was also knowing that it would be cloudy by around 10ish as well

So long as the exposure times are the same and the ambient temperature is similar (± 5°) you can use the same darks. If you leave the camera attached to the telescope between sessions, you will probably be able to use the same flats as well. So just stack them all together.

i always remove the camera, i dont supose making a mark on the camera and focuser draw tube would be anywhere near accurate enough?

Archived