Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just got back into astronomy after 25 years.

hi,after being away from astronomy for along time now I re-fired my interest after watching some programes on the disovery channel.

i am into photography and fancy taking some pictures of planets,galaxys,nebula and everything else.

l've got myself a nexstar 8se and my camera is a cannon eos 500d, i would like to know what other items i will need.

also can photo's be taken through the lens? getting a larger picture of the object ie planet,nebula. or does the camera once connected only use a barlow lens for magnification?

I'm also interested in what would be a good lens selection for my scope. I think i'll be going to 2" lenses & would be grateful for any input.

thanks for your time.

Hi and welcome back...

Firstly I think you have a great scope and camera, but I am not sure how they will work as a combination... if at all.

Typically this type of scope is more suited to Planetary & lunar imaging using a CCD camera or webcam and the DSLR camera is more often used for Deep Sky Object imaging. Both types of imaging involve the stacking of multiple images to achieve a final result but D.S.O's tend to use long exposure multiple still frames which require a guided EQ type mount and planetary/lunar imaging tends to use software to separate, sort and stack the best frames of a 'captured' AVI (video file).

As an example, Andromeda is the result of about 45 mins worth of stacked images from a DSLR and Jupiter is about 1100 frames stacked from a webcam AVI

You have a cracking lunar/planetary scope but will probably need a different kind of scope for DSO's. If you are serious about getting into imaging then the best place to start is to get a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' which is available from the sponsor FLO. This is a MUST read for anyone looking at getting into imaging and is regarded as the Astrophotography beginners bible. Honestly, it's that good I have recommended it 3 times already today.

Good luck

Tony

post-6415-0-39591200-1357938251_thumb.jp

post-6415-0-54889200-1357938327_thumb.jp

Archived