SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

eq5 drive

right guys/gals i need help , i have had dobs and dob goto's also had a few tal 1's so i know eq mounts a little [, basicically point north /level and move the ra/dec knobs .[ i now have an older eq5 [black one] i have got a polar scope and the dual drive for it . i need help how do i fit and get them to work? . i have had a look at a few videos and tbh its more gobeldygook than gookaldygob . is there anyone who has fitted a dual drive and polar scope who can give an idiots guide to how to instal or point me in the right direction .i usually set scope up roughly north and as im in glasgow 55 degrees and then just track with ra/dec but i would like the dual drive to do that for me [i assume the polar scope would help as if its aligned with polaris then the ra and dec should be pretty much spot on with the wee motor churning away . can anyone suggest a link or video that i can follow step by step

cheers

dave

the link is for a synscan upgrade on a heq5 mount which mine isn't :sad: oily if you could put up a step by step would be good [there was another post on the forum i found that was the dual drive but had a tracker thing onto the dual controller and the fitting of the dual drive was skipped over as it easy ] just dont have a great deal of experience with delicate gearing etc as i tend to fix things by hitting with a hammer and if that doesn't work it obviously needs to be hit harder with a bigger hammer :evil:

Right,I did mine with the mount on my table as it was cold in my shed!!

RA motor install.

Adjust altitude to 50 degrees on the latitude scale.(I removed both bolts as i found it easier to work on at the table)

IMG_0875.jpg

Unscrew the little phillips screw under the plastic box and remove

IMG_0891.jpg

Adjust scale to 25 degrees(as i removed my bolts I just moved this to a position that was suitable)

Set the the RA so the flat is like this

IMG_0878.jpg

Slide shaft gear on taking note that the grub screw lines up with the flat of the shaft,tighten up using the 2mm allen key

IMG_0880.jpg

Place the RA motor in the recess as shown

IMG_0881.jpg

Get the long bolt and use the long 4mm allen key and feed it through the hole like so and line it up with the threaded hole on the motor mount

IMG_0883.jpg

Before fully tightening,adjust the gears so they mesh properly,not to slack but not tight neither,once right tighten up

IMG_0890.jpg

DEC motor

Same applies for the gear for the DEC motor

IMG_0887.jpg

Place motor making sure it meshes with the gear again and tighten with the 5mm allen key

IMG_0888.jpg

Refit the plastic cover but remove the oval tab from the side.The rest is pretty straight forward,attach the RJ-11 jacks to the corresponding motors,plug in your power supply and Roberts your fathers brother!

Hope this helps,if I've missed anything than or want anything clarifying just ask :)

Archived