Delos 14mm

Charon

I am considering buying the Delos 14mm, this I think will fill the gap I have between my 10mm Hyperion and my 17mm Nagler. I know I have a Baader Zoom but I do not use this anymore as I prefer individual eyepieces. I can also use the Delos with my 2x Powermate so it will be quite a flexible eyepiece (I think) for me. What do you think?

Thank you

Dexs.

I am a huge fan of the Delos EPs. I have just purchased the 14mm myself but yet to use it. For a review of the 4.5mm Delos, Alan Potts posted this a few days ago (). I added my brief review at the top of the 2nd page of this post. Similar comments could be made about my 10mm Delos as well so I would imagine that the 14mm will be a stellar performer as well.

Clear skies,

The thing I have noticed about the Delos range is that there doesnt seem to be a weak link, I have the 17.3mm, 14mm and the 8mm and I can honestly say that I havent got a favourite or that one shines brighter than the others.

The 14mm Delos is a superb EP and I'd bet that if you get one you'll be looking for any excuse to use it! :)

The thing I have noticed about the Delos range is that there doesnt seem to be a weak link, I have the 17.3mm, 14mm and the 8mm and I can honestly say that I havent got a favourite or that one shines brighter than the others.

The 14mm Delos is a superb EP and I'd bet that if you get one you'll be looking for any excuse to use it! :)

I think that's because the Delos were designed from the ground up to be astronomical eyepiece, where as the XW were made for Pentax's scopes as well as astronomical use.

Pentax's PF80 spotting scope is a 80mm f6 refractor which is likely to have a highly curved focal plane. If the wider XW were designed for those scopes then they will suffer field curvature issue in a relatively flat Newtonian.

In some way the Delos closest equivalent is Vixen's LVW rather than XW, because the LVW were designed as purely astronomical eyepiece while the XW were dual use. However, the LVW doesn't quite match up to XW in most performance criteria except field flatness and eye relief.

I have not used the 14mm myself but the three I have are all absolutely excellent, a touch better than Nagler and likewise on the shorter side with the Radian. Nothing in what I see here would lead from beliveing that the 14mm will be every bit as good. I migth buy one anyway as they are much easier to use than the Ethos, wouldn't sell it though. My addvice is simple, buy one, you will not be disappointed, trust me i'm a Doctor.

Alan.

Almost a shame to break the Nagler line, 13 would be a great FL for globs in the 800 :cool::D

Are the Delos really that much better than the Naglers?

I would love to buy the 13mm Ethos but the price of one though :eek: , maybe one day.

Thank you very much for your replies.

P.S. I have just ordered one, SWMBO will be impressed-not !

Archived