Narrowband

Sky Watcher 130/150/200 vs Skymax-127

Well, I've done it. I've purchased a SkyMax 127 on the go to mount, it should be with me next week. I almost got in on the eq3-2 mount, then I realised that if I want an EQ mount it would be for AP and I'd rather not sink money in to upgrading an eq3-2 to tracking/ GOTO.

I justified this purchase mainly on it's extreme portability, it's high eye relief for higher magnifications and the fact that I'm a bit of a gadget [removed word].

I'll try and start a blog once I get it.

Oh, and sorry in advance for the cloudy skies over the next few weeks.

James

Good luck James, whatever you will be happy

Clear skies

Jamie

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've done it. I've purchased a SkyMax 127 on the go to mount, it should be with me next week. I almost got in on the eq3-2 mount, then I realised that if I want an EQ mount it would be for AP and I'd rather not sink money in to upgrading an eq3-2 to tracking/ GOTO.

I justified this purchase mainly on it's extreme portability, it's high eye relief for higher magnifications and the fact that I'm a bit of a gadget [removed word].

I'll try and start a blog once I get it.

Oh, and sorry in advance for the cloudy skies over the next few weeks.

James

Good choice. You can still do planetary imaging with a webcam on the alt-az goto mount such as the following image of Jupiter I took after flying with it on holiday: Jupiter, Europa and Great Red Spot (#1) You can take 2-3 minutes worth of video without field rotation playing havoc with your processing.

Just to reassure on the DSO viewing front, you'll be able to view most globular clusters quite happily with the default 25mm eyepiece as well as planetary nebulae. Open clusters aren't so good to view, but a slightly longer focal length eyepiece should help mitigate that somewhat.

Good news, getting started is key. :smiley:

I on the other hand have sold the Mak and now waiting for a 5" refractor, I know mak's are lovely scopes but I like the simple "classical" feel a ref gives.

Have fun with the scope once the wind/cloud clears out...

Thanks all. We've had some nice breaks in the clouds this past week. I think the skies are just teasing me for when the clouds set in when the scope arrives. Speak of, I really hope it turns up this week. It's showing as out of stock on the website. I hope this is because I bought it and not because they sold out before my order was completed >_<.

Does anyone have any good ideas for a good first few nights observing sessions? I've already earmarked the Moon, Jupiter, M42 and M45. After that I really am open to suggestions. My back garden has pretty clear views to the SW and NE. SW is the least light polluted.

Thanks all. We've had some nice breaks in the clouds this past week. I think the skies are just teasing me for when the clouds set in when the scope arrives. Speak of, I really hope it turns up this week. It's showing as out of stock on the website. I hope this is because I bought it and not because they sold out before my order was completed >_<.

Does anyone have any good ideas for a good first few nights observing sessions? I've already earmarked the Moon, Jupiter, M42 and M45. After that I really am open to suggestions. My back garden has pretty clear views to the SW and NE. SW is the least light polluted.

NG457 - Owl Cluster/ET Cluster fits nicely in a low power field of view.

Also stay/get up early and have a look at Saturn, the view will blow your mind.

Be interested to hear how you get on with the new scope. This was one of the ones I was considering, but I ended up picking up a second hand 200P on an EQ5 mount. It was cheaper than all and I figured a good all rounder. Still, I heard the Mak's rock on planets so I'd like to know what you think... assuming we ever get a break in the clouds for a bit :rolleyes2:

Archived