SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light skyliner 200p

Szeth

Finally got my Skyliner 200p yesterday :) First time I view the night sky through a telescope as well, only used binoculars so far.

Getting it pieced together was very easy, and everything seemed sturdy and nice. Also got the eyepice/accesory kit from Teleskop Service ( http://www.teleskop-...se---by-TS.html )

Had a look outside and it was pretty foggy. Came with the scope I suppose... Allong the horizon in all directions, no stars was visible at all. High overhead though, I could make out Jupiter and a couple of stars faintly through the mist.

Desided to try and have a look and popped in the 25mm that came with the scope. Without aligned finderscope, getting Jupiter in the eyepice took quite some time, but finally found it.

I was very surprised! Even through the mist and low mag, I could make out two red bands :) Spent some time aligning the finder, and started to change to higher powered eyepieces. Got really good results with a 15mm and 9mm. At 6 mm the planet was starting to get very dim, though because of the higher mag or the increasing fog/cloulds I don't know. Spent quite some time just looking and absorbing what I saw.

As time went it got dimmer and dimmer and fewer details. It had fogged so much that I couldn't see it anymore with unaided eye, though it showed in the finder still. Finally it was gone in the finder as well, and reduced to a dark gray blob in the eyepice. Finally lost it for good and called it a night.

Had a new round early this morning (5 pm), and it was much clearer now. Jupiter was still just above horizon, but couldn't make out any details (saw the currents in the atmosphere clearly, it was just above the mountains). Had a nice look at M51, though didn't see much structure. Basicly two gray blobs, thogh the larger one was a bit more "uneven". Hope to tease out more details with time and practice. Was very rewarding still :) Also spent some time with a 32 mm looking at the doble cluster, wich was awesome. Tried to find M31, but it was probably to low on the horizon, couldn't find it. Also tried finding M81 and M82, but it beeing straight overhead, and me beeing new to the upside down mirror image of the straight through finder, I just had to give up. Going to order a RACI finder very soon. Also just swiped the sky using the low power eyepice. Was great :)

Now of to work on the sea for 14 days. Can't wait to get back to the scope, and very happy that I got at least some stargazing before leaving.

Sounds good. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new friend!

Have you checked collimation by the way?

Not really. Had a look through the chesshire and a collimation cap, but didn't really see if it was good or out. Prioritized using the little time I had viewing. Going to read up on collimation before heading back home.

Sezth,

Sounds like you a great session despite pretty grim conditions and good to see everything arrived in good working order - hope you get some proper clear skies when you get back to dry land.

Don't envy you the two weeks at sea this time of year.... Rig, boat or ship?

Sezth,

Sounds like you a great session despite pretty grim conditions and good to see everything arrived in good working order - hope you get some proper clear skies when you get back to dry land.

Don't envy you the two weeks at sea this time of year.... Rig, boat or ship?

Rig, norwegian part of the north sea. See the flare of the near-by british rigs on clear nights :)

Sounds Good. I will be collecting my new 200p this Saturday a.m. it arrived at a local shop yesterday after placing an order Saturday. So hoping for clear sky's but tradition on here seems to indicate that new scopes come with prerequisite clouds.

Rig, norwegian part of the north sea. See the flare of the near-by british rigs on clear nights :)

Szeth, that sounds brisk at this time of year - other than the distant flare do you get any views from work, or it the rig a too lit up for that.

Not a bad place to do some serious reading/research though. Do hope you get some fine clear weather on your return.

Jake

Szeth, that sounds brisk at this time of year - other than the distant flare do you get any views from work, or it the rig a too lit up for that.

Not a bad place to do some serious reading/research though. Do hope you get some fine clear weather on your return.

Jake

Too much light here to see much of anything. Have a pair of 7x50 bins available to I look at the moon with sometimes, but that's it. Have turn left at Orion and Stellarium though, which is a nice way to spend time when not working.

Sounds like you did well! I may get a 200 dob for my first scope but coping with bins for now.

It was awesome. Very happy I spent time with the bins first though, wouldn't have gotten nearly as much out of the first sessions if I hadn't.

Archived