SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clear Skies tonight!!

starryeyedkay

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long do you leave your scope out for?

What scope do you have?

You can start observing straight away with a low power EP but for higher powered EP's most scopes will be good after an hour of cooling down.

Set you scope up, go and have a cuppa, plan what you want to observe and by then it should be ok. :)

How long do you leave your scope out for?

Generally I leave mine out for as long as I can, just somewhere they can't get wet but will cool down to ambient temperature. Often they can be out for several hours, but if I get them out early then it means I can start as soon as I see the sky is clear. With your refractor it really won't need long at all.

James

Id like to have a go at looking at jupiter tonight, do you have any tips? what lens would you use?

Start at low magnification (longest focal length eyepiece) and work your way up. If you find the view gets worse (which it probably will do at some point) then go back. I have a range of eyepieces and generally just work to whatever the conditions allow.

James

Good news :)

The clouds are starting to shift here now. The seeing is absolutely atrocious though. Even the stars in Auriga are twinkling madly and Sirius looks like a lighthouse in overdrive. Might have to give it my best shot and see how it goes.

James

Good news :)

The clouds are starting to shift here now. The seeing is absolutely atrocious though. Even the stars in Auriga are twinkling madly and Sirius looks like a lighthouse in overdrive. Might have to give it my best shot and see how it goes.

James

Not great seeing down here, transparency was great though...May be worth staying up to see if it improves James?

I should of been out looking at DSO's somewhere nice and dark but ended up doing a sketch of Jupiter from home which was fun.

Soooooo nice to be under the stars again though, cabin fever had really started to kick in after all this bad weather but I feel strangely calm after tonights little session.

You probably made the right decision to stay at home Mike. I managed a couple of hours at the local dark site earlier but as you said , the seeing wasn't that great. NELM was about 5.3 so not a lot of detail in the DSO's. Jupiter was pretty good tho. I managed to catch the last third of the transit of Io which was cool.

At last! Managed to get good looks at Jupiter & M42 in between clouds between 10 and midnight last night. Thought J looked lovely with 2 of the moons close by, that's the first time I've seen that.

Stuck with familiar objects as trying out new pieces of kit ( RACI finder, Seben 8-24 zoom and Telrad mirror) and also still find it difficult to get to new things when there are intemittent clouds.

Just happy it was clear at times as it's first time since 5 Dec. we have managed to get out. Fingers crossed for Sunday eve.

Archived