SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polar alignment, stupid question but...

...having just got an HEQ5 mount I am now following instructions to polar align using a dot in the wall.

I've figured how the 3 adjustment screws work fine but various instructions refer to bringing Polaris back "under the cross".

Now the silly bit! Does that mean under the X itself" ( arrow A) or "underneath it" (arrow B)?! Just checking as mine is currently aligned kind of between the two distance wise, at about 8 o'clock. It does stay there when I rotate the mount 180 degrees so does it even matter?

post-26268-135782613719_thumb.jpg

Thanks all.

Only touch the alignment screws if the polar scope is off center. Otherwise you might destroy the calibration of the polascope in the axis of the mount (and have to redo it takes a bit). The X in the middle should stay still on target when you rotate the mount head and polar scope.

You should use the altitude and azimuth bolts to do the polar alignment itself.

This video series is really good and helped me get to terms with it.

Sometimes the polarscope comes unaligned, you can easily check that by targeting something and rotate it.

However, all those problems are adressed in the video series I linked above, so just watch that and come back here if you're having problems still.

The Polaris marker should be in position B if the RA axis is rotated so the time and date rings are set to midnight on 1st November. On that date Polaris is "highest" above the NCP, and as the polar scope inverts the image it should therefore be right at the bottom of the circle. If it isn't then you need to rotate the polar scope to move the marker to that position (keeping the time and date set correctly).

James

Some people use an application that shows where Polaris ought to be now and set the orientation from there, but I reckon it's far easier and probably more accurate to line it up at the bottom because you can just point the polar scope at something vertical and line the cross and Polaris marker up against it.

James

I went through this tutorial when I got my HEQ5. It worked very well for me. I use the date rings to polar align, which seems to work nicely for me.

Works for my EQ3-2, too. I set the mount up outside having set it all up this way a while back (I leave the mount on the tripod outside under a cover most of the time) and when I went back to it at the start of December and set the time and date Polaris was bang in the middle of the ring. I was quite pleased.

James

Archived