Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3rd Light Report - no observing for ages then bagged M42, M31 and M101 last night

Circumstances and weather meant that I hadn't gotten outside at all for too long. My first two attempts with the scope were ok but I reckoned I could do better. Last night it all came together and I had really great time out there, even it though it was blumming cold. Got all the layers on and gathered up all the gear and headed outside. I spent the cooldown time with TLAO, 15x70's and a comfy camping seat. I sussed out all my targets and few other things as well then got onto the scope. From my site, there's moderate LP to the south, low LP to the east and west and low LP to the north.

Jupiter looked really fantastic. It was my best view yet of it; pretty sharp right down to a barlowed X-Cel LX 9mm. I was able to see a lot of detail, especially the GRS. I really REALLY enjoyed gawping at it! I moved on, after a fair bit, to the other targets and found that it really is getting a good bit easier to find things now, as I learn more and more about the sky. It was really satifying to snag those objects, especially M42 - the Trapezium was as clear as a bell but I also thought I could see some dark patches around it, if that makes sense?

I meant to be outside for 2 hours but ended up spending 4 so that tells you I was having a good time:)

Lessons learnt? My homemade dew shield for the Telradar isn't long enough and it really is a PITA when it fogs up. Wiping it off doesn't really help so I'll have to extend the shield to the full length. The Lazy Susan mod is going to happen too because tracking is jerky so the parts for that are on the way. Also going add the locking coasters. I used a drum stool as my seat and I found that you have a much nicer time observing when you're seated , rather doing the crouch. If I can add smoother tracking to that, I'll be really happy.

Cheers!

Lucky you...it's been cloudy for ages here.

Great to hear you had some viewing at last, long may it continue.

Nice report. Good to hear you're out and about with your scope.

Thanks folks; it WAS really cool to finally get outside and achieve somes results, although the clouds are now firmly back - bummer! Time really does fly when you're having fun:)

Nice, try applying "Turtle Wax" to one side of the base plate and polishing it off.....smooth. A circle of plastic milk bottle inside the alt sides will help smooth that out, the plastic top fits ep top ends as well,

Thanks Nick, I'll certainly have a go at the adding the milk bottle cutouts. The 'lazy susan' mod will hopefully take care of the base but I've filled the wax idea away for future reference:)

Archived