SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Andromeda first sighting

Khw

Hi everyone I've just been out under a sky full of stars ! After watching jupiter I used my iPad and go skywatch to see if I could find no1 on my wish list which is the andromeda galaxy and after about ten minutes of neck bending using my binos there it was! It took me a while to find it again with my scope as I can't get on with the finder but after a few minutes a small smudge of grey appeared in my ep. I'm really made up as I am looking at another galaxy from my back door .kevin :smiley:

Congratulation! Its a sight well worth seeking out. I remember it took me sometime to spot it for the first time. That was when I had the small 114 Celestron on an Eq mount. I got so fed up not being able to spot it, I took my then woefuly small binos out away from any steet lights and eventually found it. Even though it was a small fuzzy smudge I had found it. When I eventually upgraded to the big binos and the Dob I still get a great deal of enjoyment from seeing it time and time again.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes say it slowly - you are looking at another galaxy with millions of suns in it...

200-250 Billion Stars in our Galaxy and Andromeda estimated at three times the size, estimates vary but possibly 1 Trillion suns.

Truely incomprehensibly mind boggling

Well done Kevin - Andromeda was one of those things that just escaped me for some time but once you have found it once its like M42 you just keep going back. Faint smudge it may be but like a lot of things with astronomy whats amazing is not what you can see but the fact you can see it all.

Archived