Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm No Good at Intro Posts

skir

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on a couple of other forums and I've got to say this place is really friendly in comparison!

I've now taken the plunge and paid for the scope. Still need to sort a mount out though and probably ep's as well.

what else am I likely to need initially?

Hi Pete and welcome to SGL

if youre puttting the AP on hold then an EQ5 with an RA drive should do the trick, as youre in reading mode right night a copy of Turn Left at Orion is also in order (if you dont already have a copy). Download stellarium as well.

You will need a few decent EP's as the GSO is reasonably fast at F5 and certainly for wide field views you get what you pay for, A coma corrector should be a necessary purchase.

Maybe some filters and a red night light and plenty of warm clothing.

after that pray for clear skies and whilst your at it pray for the skies over East Yorkshire as well!!!

Take your time and enjoy, feel free to ask as many questions as you like on SGL you wont be disappointed.

I had a copy of "turn left" out from the library for a while (well as long as I could actually :grin: ) but I need to buy my own copy really. I see there is a version which is spirally bound which I guess would be better for use outside. What is the current version of the book v3, v4?

I already have stellarium on my laptop, unfortunately the laptop is in bits currently as it needs a power supply repair :rolleyes: I've to do.

Can you explain what a coma corrector is and why I will need one, also what will I need filters for?

I found a guide on here for ep's so that has given me an idea on the range I might need.

What's the best kind of red light to go for (no, not that type :rolleyes::grin: ) just a torch or are there other options?

Just to warn you all I will be asking all sorts of stupid questions!

hi Pete welcome,

I guess I'm in a similar position to you mate leg on the sofa as i've broken my ankle , i had floppy foot syndrome lol...

i havent been a member long but i'm already learning tons, everyone on here is really helpful..

hi Pete welcome,

I guess I'm in a similar position to you mate leg on the sofa as i've broken my ankle , i had floppy foot syndrome lol...

i havent been a member long but i'm already learning tons, everyone on here is really helpful..

Not good is it. Still i'm using the time productively so that's good. Hope your ankle makes a fast and full recovery.

yeah I'm the same I've changed my first scope choice about 100 times in the last few days and i still haven't made a deffinate decision .. same to you mate i think i'm in it for the long haul with this one though..

i'm sure we'll both be under clear skys soon enjoying every minute..

yeah I'm the same I've changed my first scope choice about 100 times in the last few days and i still haven't made a deffinate decision .. same to you mate i think i'm in it for the long haul with this one though..

i'm sure we'll both be under clear skys soon enjoying every minute..

Well I did a load of research a while back and was nearly decided on a 10" dob, but then thought about AP. So I've now actually bought a 8" newt, it's second hand but according to the seller less than a year old. I'm now on a hunt for a mount to put it on.

I feel quite overwhelmed by the amount of info to learn, but it's fun too.

I had a copy of "turn left" out from the library for a while (well as long as I could actually :grin: ) but I need to buy my own copy really. I see there is a version which is spirally bound which I guess would be better for use outside. What is the current version of the book v3, v4?

I already have stellarium on my laptop, unfortunately the laptop is in bits currently as it needs a power supply repair :rolleyes: I've to do.

Can you explain what a coma corrector is and why I will need one, also what will I need filters for?

I found a guide on here for ep's so that has given me an idea on the range I might need.

What's the best kind of red light to go for (no, not that type :rolleyes::grin: ) just a torch or are there other options?

Just to warn you all I will be asking all sorts of stupid questions!

Could someone answer my latest questions please? :smiley:

Hi Pete and welcome - sorry to hear about the accident - but you're not missing much with this weather either done here or oop north!

very true, but I'm hoping to be able to go out in the garden once I have some kit to use. As long as I move carefully and slowly it's not too bad and hopefully if I can get setup properly I won't have to move at all! :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived