SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New focuser or Synscan upgrade?

Hi, I had my Skywatcher 200p on a EQ5 mount for a month or so now and have managed to get it out on the few clear nights we have had. I currently have two problems;

1) I am struggling to find the anything. I know my targets general positions in the sky relative to the major constellations but can't for the life of me seem to find them. I can easily find things like Juipter, Pleiades, M42 etc but other than that i am having real trouble. It is getting rather frustrating, I know i am in the right area for an object but just can't seem to find it.

2) The stock focuser and me do not get on. I really don't like it, there is no room for fine adjustments and when trying to focus the stiffness of it shakes the telescope violently at higher magnifications.

I can only really afford one. Do i fork out the cash for a top quality crayford focuser (i was thinking of getting a Moonlight CR2) to improve my viewing experience whilst continuing to struggle to find objects? Or do i get the Synscan upgrade for my mount and be able to find a wider variety of objects whilst struggling to get finer detail from the focuser?

I'm currently leaning towards the focuser as it will transfer when i eventually upgrade my scope and i will probably get better at finding objects if i just put in the effort.

Thanks.

part of your problem is that the 200 is at the top of its capacity so make sure its properly balanced. vibration suppression pads and a gentle hand will help a bit. If its very tight slightly adjusting the grub screws in the focusser a little may help. As for finding things as you say practise makes perfect. I would get the goto to assist in my learning but there are plenty here who don't need one it's a personal choice. I view from a very light polluted area and a lot of the way markers are difficult to identify when star hopping. Now I don't need goto for finding things in my area but suffer from the converse as when I go to a dark sight there's too much information for me to readily identify familiar patterns. I hope that helps as I am not an expert in the 200p . I have used a few but never owned one and the ones I have used have always been fine,

alot of work can be done to make the original focuser smoother, but in any case while a moonlight is superb, don't right off a two speed revelation, £109 telescope house. I've never regreted getting it and when set properly its butter smooth. As for the eq5 i have two versions the celestron cq5 and the bresser one. Both are vastly improved by a good strip and set. By doing so the backlash and stiffness can be corrected.

I would try adjusting the grub screws on the focuser, as rowan suggests, I put a basic skywatcher crayford on my 120 frac, and have had no trouble, and get reasonable fine adjustment with it.

I would consider a GOTO, as I have the same problem that you describe in point 1. I have problems with seeing anything other than brighter stars from my garden due to LP and our various neighbours' obsession with leaving outside lighting on?. I think that a GOTO would help with learning and orientation. I just bought small used GOTO mount for use with my little frac, and am hoping it will be a good investment for exactly this reason.

Archived