SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Bath

InTheCity93

Hi there, I'm Josh, I'm 19 from Bath, I recently brought a celestron travel scope 70 just as a starter scope, still trying to get to grips with the sky but had some lovely views of the moon, and I recently brought some badder solar film so now hoping for some nice weather!

Anyway, hi to you all. :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Josh and welcome to SGL.

I'm no expert but I believe you need more than just solar film. Most set ups have a blocking filter in the EP as well. As it is your eyesight at risk I hope someone can confirm/advise.

HTH

Steve

as long as the solar film is the visual D5 and not imaging D3.8 type the film on its own will be fine

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/sofifolie/details_e.htm

this link tells you all you need to know

Hi Josh and welcome to SGL, viewing the Sun can be very rewarding, however, it can also be very dangerous, as you seem new to the hobby please follow all the recommended guide lines and procedures with respect to Solar observing before you start, one of the safest ways, to avoid any possible contact with your eyes, is to use the projection method onto a piece of white card, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

With the baader or Thousand Oaks solar film you do not need a filter on eyepiece you can buy a continium filter that will bring more detail out on are home star, it's great stuff you get use of your scope night and day

Hi Josh, welcome from me, a Bathonian through and through but now living in Swindon. The Baader Solar film or a premade filter will do you, I bought a premade solar filter from FLO and got some good use out of it, however, not seen much sun recently so had little use of late. Still, got in one or two clear nights, so that has been good. Well done for getting your first telescope, the 70mm is a good place to start and I wish you all the best! Keep us posted.

Welcome to SGL

Yes, there's no need for any other filtering with the Baader ND5.0 solar filter and viewing the Sun using it is an interesting thing to do. At the moment the Sun is quite active and appears different almost every day. There is the ND3.8 that's intended solely for photgraphic use as Pete says, but I think that only comes in large sheets at a much higher price than the ND5.0. (It might also come with a load of "Not for visual use" stickers, too.) I use my ND5.0 filter for solar imaging and it works well enough. The important thing to do is to hold up the filter to a bright light each time you use it to check for pinholes. It's fairly tough stuff, but can get pierced if you're not careful.

James

Welcome to SGL

Yes, there's no need for any other filtering with the Baader ND5.0 solar filter and viewing the Sun using it is an interesting thing to do. At the moment the Sun is quite active and appears different almost every day. There is the ND3.8 that's intended solely for photgraphic use as Pete says, but I think that only comes in large sheets at a much higher price than the ND5.0. (It might also come with a load of "Not for visual use" stickers, too.) I use my ND5.0 filter for solar imaging and it works well enough. The important thing to do is to hold up the filter to a bright light each time you use it to check for pinholes. It's fairly tough stuff, but can get pierced if you're not careful.

James

Thanks for that, James....Great advice.

Hi Josh, I am a member of this Bath based Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/348901398493574/

Your most local Astronomy group I think is this one, which I attend from time to time: http://wasnet.co.uk/

A great group with close associations with the Herschel Museum in Bath through its chairman Andy Burns, they often have viewings on the Royal Crescent, they are also organising a Stargazing Live! event at Lacock on Sunday 13th January 2pm onwards, with solar viewing in the afternoon and stargazing in the evening, meeting at the field behind the Red Lion pub, more info here: http://wasnet.co.uk/obssessions.htm

Archived