SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

restricted space.

ScubaMike

Hi All,

I'm looking to permanently site my scope on a pier in the garden.

However, I'm a little restricted with space.

I'm considering getting a 4x4 shed, and putting it on runners, so that when the door is opened, and any fasteners which hold the shed in place are released, the whole shed can be rolled away, over the scope and mount.

The whole area is a concrete pad.

The shed (now moved to one side) would effectively become my warm (or a little less cold) room.

This seems to be a little less difficult for me to build than a roll off roof.

I wondered if anyone else had considered, or even done this before.

Any potential pitfalls from previous designers would be most welcome.

Hi All,

I'm looking to permanently site my scope on a pier in the garden.

However, I'm a little restricted with space.

I'm considering getting a 4x4 shed, and putting it on runners, so that when the door is opened, and any fasteners which hold the shed in place are released, the whole shed can be rolled away, over the scope and mount.

The whole area is a concrete pad.

The shed (now moved to one side) would effectively become my warm (or a little less cold) room.

This seems to be a little less difficult for me to build than a roll off roof.

I wondered if anyone else had considered, or even done this before.

Any potential pitfalls from previous designers would be most welcome.

I have three like this though only two are currently in service. It's a very good idea and works fine. Mk 1 is coming up to 10 years of age and marching on. Nothing uses less space.

Pitfalls? Because you have a cube with one strut missing (the bottom of the door when the shed is open) you get a lot of flex. I bought a hobby welder and soon got the hang of it, so my whole thing has a steel chassis and frame and is tailored for a snug it over the scope. What you could easily do though is get a fabricator or car mechanic or anyone with a welder to make you a U shaped steel frame on which to bolt the timber shed. Get them to weld the wheels onto the bottom of the U-chassis while they're about it.

You can have a drop down table on one inside wall and a drop down bench on the other. Make sure you can get into the shed without bashing the scope when in warm room mode.

I like this idea and am surprised we don't see more sheds like this, though one of our recents guests has made one similar. His is all-wood so it can be done, but a standard shed minus its floor and strut under the door would be dodgy. On a chassis it would be fine.

Olly

PS, another tip; don't make one big concrete pad. Make one a little smaller then the shed around the pier and then have a separate one under the shed in rolled off mode. This way the scope's pad won't puddle in wet weather. Water can drain away on all sides. This is a refinement I introduced in version two!

Thanks for your thoughts Olly,

Pad is already there (one reason I'm considering this).

I was thinking of having some kind of removable wooden strut that would fit round the pier when packing up (so I knew the shed was back in place when putting away), but I like your metal U-Frame idea better. means the structure is still solid even whn being used as a "warm room". I was going to get spring loaded wheels, so that when fastened down, there was little/no gap to prevent weather ingress when packed away.

Also like the drop down table idea. I suppose all connections etc could be wall mounted for speed/ease of set up.

I have not put the pier in yet, so I could shape the concrete around the base to prevent pooling I guess.

Still got to sell the idea to the better half, so wanted to get my thoughts right first. (she doesn't realise she will be losing half of her 20' greenhouse as part of the plans :) - she doesn't use it all anyway)

I dont think you necessarily need a removable strut if you can shut the doors. Once closed, provided you make a kind of interlocking catch for the doors, they restore the integrity of the structure. I can see someone falling over the strut and onto the rig... :Envy:

Olly

Hi ScubaMike.

I have almost finished my roll-away shed and will be posting some progress pics on here shortly.

Mine is a 7x5 mounted on 4 rails & 12 wheels intended for an automatic house driveway gate.

I'm thrilled with it so far as I have zero diy skills so quite an achievement for me, and it rolls with almost zero effort

Here are a few pics. More to come shortly

I'll try and answer any Q's you may have. Good Luck!

post-14229-135768314364_thumb.jpg

post-14229-135768317368_thumb.jpg

post-14229-135768319892_thumb.jpg

Archived