Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from the Cotswolds

Trigger

Hi, just wanted to say hello. I've just been given a telescope for free from a friend (a Celestron NexStar 60SLT). I have always wanted a telescope (scope or whatever the correct lingo is!) however I knew out had to spend a fair bit of money to benefit properly and as a complete noobie I was reluctant to do so. However seen as this has happened Im rather happy. I have read a few reviews and realise this is only a basic telescope however for startup it will do. If I become hooked which I imagine I will, I would be upgrading as I would love to start taking photo etc especially with the comet coming letter this year! I will be looking into joining a club if I can find one to really get the best out of my (hopefully) new found hobby.

A bit about myself:

Im 27 ex Army and very much an outdoors person, I moved from Morecambe to the Cotswolds with my wife's work. I have a keen interest in all thing space and physics, having read a few books etc.

Anyway intro over I will now go and have a nosey around!

Thanks,

Alex

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Wookie, thanks, it is indeed very lovely and I am very lucky to live here. Most importantly the light pollution is quite low here so we can get good skies! Can't wait to go have a play, shame the cloud cover is bad tonight, however the friend didn't pack everything in the box so I couldn't use it even if I wanted too.

Wookie that sounds really good, Im up for that. Midnight_sky_watcher I was in the signals for 6 years, feel insignificant to your 22! I was attached to P coy lads throughout my time and worked along side both SFSG and Pathfinders (also the marines equivalent the BRF in Afghan) having worked with those guys I take my hat of to you for sticking it out!

HI Alex and welcome to the forum. To help you get started with your scope, you might like to take a look at this free piece of planetarium software called Stellarium which you can read about here. Lots of useful features to help you identify and find objects of interest. It can be calibrated to your precise viewing location thereby producing an identical night sky to the one you can see with your scope and it is presented in real time.

Feel free to ask any questions in the relevant sections and remember, the only real daft question is the one you don't ask. Astronomy isn't difficult, its just that there is a lot of it and because it keeps changing, it effectively makes us all beginners in the greater scheme of things so your amongst friends here in your understanding.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Cheers James i will look at that when Im on my laptop. I've been viewing on my phone (hence the typos due to poor autocorrect function!)

Thanks for all the welcome messages guys, looks like a good bunch of people here

Hi trigger (we`ll get to know you first before we start with the only fools stuff, but knowing you where in the army we might not :grin: ).

Welcome to SGL you have come to the right place as there a great bunch here and as James pointed out, ask away.

Hi Alex, welcome to SGL.

Depending where you are, there are a couple of clubs about - Cotswold Astronomical Society (my club) are west Cotswold really - Cheltenham/Gloucester area. There is also a club in Chipping Norton (Chipping Norton Amateur Astronomy Group). You might also want to check out Stratford Upon Avon and Abingdon AS's.A quick google will take you their websites.

Clear skies, Callum

Archived