Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Counterweights for EQ5 mount

Catweazel

Hi folks,

I wondered if anyone knew where I could get a small counterweight for my EQ5 mount, so that I can balance my Megrez 72? The Megrez weights 2.2KG, a little more with RACI attached, so obviously, the weights that come with the EQ5 are way too heavy. Any sensible alternative suggestions are also much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

CW :cheesy:

Yep you can do this but Catweazel has a small scope so will only be using a single weight. Also the weight lifting ones aren't usually the right size for the counterweight bar, and don't lock in place well enough to keep perfectly balanced.

If using a single weight get the EQ3-2 ones.

I use a couple of Tesco's weightlifting weights - the small bore ones meant for hand bar-bells. They weigh 1kg each. To fix them you can either drill and tap a thread, use small wooden wedges to hold them or a couple of jubilee clips will work as well.

Archived