SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Adobe CS2 for free

Black Knight

Helen, how did he Trojan present itself - did you get an immediate notice from your protection software or did it only present on re-boot?

I signed up on the website with no apparent issues and completed the download without issues but have not carried out a reboot yet and have not run the download. I am currently running a scan of my hard drive using ESET Nod (virus protection) and have already had a clear result from a memory scan. I am loathe to turn off the laptop for now though!!

Just a leeetle bit concerned right now!

If you trust me to give an answer then it's immediate.

Look on the Microsoft web site for sirefef and more info. http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?Name=Win32%2FSirefef#add_rem

The create accounts page is down. This would indicate that Adobe are fixing it. I have since remembered my account details and have successfully downloaded the software.

Dave.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All is well on my little computer. :) Now gonna try on Win 7.

BTW, I found the free CS2 programs on the official Adobe site as opposed to following links on a third party site. So far no trojans but I am scanning.

Installing Illustrator on Win7 - no problems.

InDesign also runs in the x86 folder.

CS2 won't install on Win 7 64bit although a getaround is here: http://answers.micro...9b-5d19150f803f

I already have CS5 so CS2 will remain on the XP system.

Remember your not going to be a ble to handle raws from most cameras that came on the market much after 2007-2008 with CS2 in which case you can use the free adobe DNG convertor to convert the raws to tiff's or maybe even DNG's

The DNG convertor is usually kept updated when new cameras are released...

http://www.adobe.com....jsp?ftpID=5519

Peter...

FYI if you suspect downloaded malware and cannot get rid of it, there is a great tool that reports registry and file startup settings - in summary you can prevent the infection in many cases loading at bootime - its called Hijackthis available from sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/ . Yes the name does sound a bit suspect, trendmicro bought the rights etc to it hence goto their site for read up first. It requires user who has some knowledge of PCs, as you can stop essential programmes (e.g. AV) loading by accident, but with careful use its a great tool, even just to see whats being loaded at startup

Just installed PS and Illustrator CS2 on my Win7 x64 machine, no issues, installed without jumping through any hoops. No spyware attached, and I'm blumming paranoid about that stuff (I'm a Unix Sysadmin by profession).

Looks legit and a bit of an oversight by Adobe in not restricting the binary downloads or activation keys.

I'd advise the downlaoding of the files and the keys just in case Adobe pull the site or changethe auth scheme for it. The Streisand effect will mean though that the keys are going to be in the open anyway.

Seems that you can download the entire CS2 suite and a load of other stuff from the same period (up to Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro). I will certainly be downloading these when I get the chance, though I know from experience that most, if not all of these Mac versions will not run in Mac OS Lion because they will be PPC, and support for that was dropped (Intel only now), however with the handy use of a VM of Snow Leopard, which includes the PPC emulation layer, they will work! I just hope Photoshop doesn't run too slowly under emulation. Should have no trouble running the others in my Windows VMs too. Happy days!

Good post, thank you!

Some info from Adobe here:

http://blogs.adobe.c...on-servers.html

The sentence " While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers." is rather vague.

To me it sounds like they're saying that everyone has the technical capability to download the software but that doesn't mean you're actually licenced to use it unless you purchased it in the first place.

Think it would help if Adobe issued a more clear cut statement, though if their intention was not to give away CS2 for free, it would possibly be a case of trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Archived