Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
steppenwolf

The Horsie Rides again!

Had another go at the Horsehead tonight (set the alarm for 03.00 and actually got up!) and managed 22 x 300 second frames but was plagued by guiding issues - more to come on that issue in another thread!

horsehead_191007.jpg

Stunning detail and very smooooth. Top draw. :D

Mike.

What scope and CCD did you use ?

Skywatcher 10" Reflector and Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9C mounted on a Skywatcher EQ6 mount, guided.

That's a 'cracker' Steve, and you pretty much managed to keep Alnitak out of the 'frame'.

A very nice image indeed, well done!!

BTW, 10 out of 10 for having the enthusiasm to get out of a warm bed. Like KK, I'll wait until the 'horse' appears at a more civilised hour. :D

Dave

No comedy here Steve, just admiration of a superb image. A real humdinger.

Ron. :D

Thanks for your supportive comments folks. I am pleased that I got up early to image this but didn't feel that at the time - it was just so cold!

For some reason I am fighting a bit of a losing battle with auto-guiding at the moment and this image was more of a challenge than it should have been. The Horsehead that I took earlier in the week didn't have this problem, in fact I was particularly pleased with the way the mount was tracking and as nothing has changed in between the two sessions (even the camera orientation is identical), I am at a loss to understand what has gone wrong and it seems a minor tragedy to spend time fiddling with the mount using up precious imaging opportunities but I guess it will just have to be done. I am going to document the problem in another thread over the weekend in the hope that you may be able to offer suggestions for what is going wrong because the problem is quantifiable and, I hope, resolvable.

Your comments good or bad are always appreciated!