Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Lancaster

Tarragon

Well, it's only been thirty years since my first telescope....

Hello to you all, and I hope to get back into the astronomy vibe by chatting, interacting and reading these forums :)

Im a seriously keen photographer, so you already know where this one is going! I'm going to be aiming for astrophotography next winter and want to try and get the right equipment for it. I like to take my time researching whats best for me and my limited budget, hence the long timescale!! I will be saving my pennies this year...

Since I got my ipad, and loaded up some of the amazing live-view apps for the night sky, I've promised myself to take some shots to be proud of. The recent death of Patrick Moore has jolted me somewhat into not putting it off any longer. None of us are getting any younger. I'd met him once, almost twice.

So there's a quick rundown, oh and I did a year of astronomy at uni some twenty years ago. I think I'm probably a bit rusty nowadays though....!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tarragon and welcome to SGL, brush the rust off as it were and get yourself a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" available through FLO, see top of page, if you want to delve into AP, then this is a recommended first purchase,as in the long run it could avoid the pitfalls of spending money on items you find out you eventually don`t need. For future helpful advice, post in the respective imaging sections, there is a wealth of knowledge from the members who have gone over to the dark side. Enjoy your Astronomy and AP :)

John.

Hi from Morecambe.

Get yourself along (assuming that you don't already attend) to the Lancaster and Morecambe Astro Society meeting on the 16th at Torrisholme Church of the Ascension

Hi from morecambe as well, i may pop along to that myself what time is it on

Hi and welcome. As suggested already, Making Every Photon Count is something of an AP bible and a 'must read' really. If you have photo gear already, why not try some wide field photog?! You could set up and do some 10 - 15 second exposures with no star trailing, or even longer exposures to capture star trailing? Just a thought - to get your eye in ;):)

Hi, welcome to SGL :) There is a huge amount of information around on astrophotography. Have a look around the site and start picking up info and tips. When you are ready to start there'll be plenty of people here who can help you take the next step.

Hi and welcome to the forum. +1 for Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" and is essential reading in helping you decide how deep you want to go and of course setting a sufficient budget.

Clear skies

James

Archived