Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from a foggy Norwich!

li6290

Hi there everyone!

Newbie here in Norwich, Norfolk :-)

I've been interested in Astronomy from a very early age, though only really started stargazing last year when I was bought a telescope for Crimbo. It's... (please don't laugh too much - I've seen the posts on here already).. a Seben Big Boss 1400mm 150 reflector. I've used it a couple of times and it didn't seem too bad to me (with a very untrained eye!). Saw Jupiter and its moons, and the Moon. I've also had a go with my father-in-law's scope (another reflector I think), which was fun. Last winter I also borrowed his bird-watching bins and spent many nights looking at, amongst other things, the Orion constellation and the Pleiades cluster. Other than that, I have spent many years gazing up at the stars with just my eyes!

I have also been to a couple of the public nights at Seething Observatory - with the NAS. I hope to become a fully-fledged member this year!

I would really like to spend a lot of time in the future stargazing and learning the ropes - I could probably count the amount a telescope sessions that I have actually ever had on both hands. I would also love to pick up my own set of bins this month, but I don't have a very big budget. I've seen these and quite fancy them - any help or recommendations? I also read somewhere about getting bins collimated before use. Do you know if this company does this? I've always had an issue with the images not matching up with any set of bins I have looked through, and end up shutting one eye!!!

Anyway, a bit more about me:

I'm an Office Geophysicist with Gardline Geosurvey, and I'm also studying with the Open University. I have completed the module S283 'Planetary Science and the Search for Life' which was brilliant. I'm studying an engineering module this year which is exciting.

Generally, you could say that I am a bit of a geek and an information sponge. I love geology, physics, maths, cosmology, astronomy, space science, traveling, music and reading.

That's it for now I think! Nice to meet you all and hope you are all having a great start to the New Year.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or tips you can give me :smiley:

If astronomy is important to you then you've come to the right place ;)

As for the scope, if it allows you to see the marvels of the universe then happy days!!

If you class yourself as a bit of a 'geek' then you're in good company :laugh:

Welcome to SGL......

ps the link to the bino's doesn't work for me?!

Hi li6290 and welcome to SGL, no knowledge of the Meade bins, but if you post in Equipment Help and Advice or the bins section, you may get a response from someone who has already acquired them. enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hi and welcome to SGL

Before splashing out on the bins, as John (Glowjet) has already advised I recommend that you ask your question in the Discussions - Binoculars section outline a budget and see what the site recommends.

10 x 50's are as big as you will hand hold for any period of time.

Archived