SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Having a spot of trouble...

Caz

It was relatively clear for about 30/40 mins last night, and because the moon was fairly low in the sky, I decided to try and spot M36, 37 & 38, but for some reason or another I just couldn't see them. I did come across a couple of star groups, so I may have spotted them and not realised, according to my software, they should be visable with :clouds2:. Then I tried to spot M35, didn't have much luck there either. Does it have to be really dark skies to observe these Messiers?

Oh BTW, clear skies permitting christmas day..... :clouds2: My family is expecting big things from me and my scope.....I know, laughable isn't it...... :clouds2:

Caz :sunny:

ps....Why is it when I'm not looking for objects I find them...... :?

Show them the Orion nebula, it's easy, and a show-stopper. Saturn is really good, too.

I was out last night, deliberately trying to find those same three clusters in Auriga. I am certain I got one in the FOV, and I am pretty sure it was M38, but it wasn't as striking as I expected. I won't be home before moonrise tonight, or I'd have another go at it. I think it was mainly the light interference from the moon, combined with the poor transparency. I have seen the clusters in Auriga by binoculars in slightly better skies, but I didn't have my scope, or a guidebook available at the time. This hobby can be frustrating at times.

... Does it have to be really dark skies to observe these Messiers?

Not so much for the clusters but generally ... yes.

... Ive been trying to look for the M31 since Summer this year!

I am sure you will both have more luck next week when the moon will be out of the way. 

(Most people don't realise just how big M31 is; I remember it was four months before I realised that I was viewing only a small part of it; my scope/eyepiece simply couldn't fit it all in!).

Steve

well when i first started it took me 1 year before i could find the smoke ring nebula M57 Darn hard to find ,

Twinkletoes ,dont believe all you read about what you can see or what you cant see , they all say oh yes with an 8 inch scope you will see these galaxies etc etc , some you will but alot YOU WONT, Nebula well you be lucky to see just a few looking through the scope , dont have to tell ya why , !! u got it the pollution , it does help alot of course with the filters they now supply , i can only suggest a web cam with long exposure facility and a go- to scope , this then will open up a whole new viewing experience for you , and being able to see them live on screen , amazing , so be patient you will get there ,

Rog

Saturn is a top target to aim for, and you can see the rings easily on a low mag (say x48). Speaking of low mags I'd recommend sticking to those until you get to know your scope a little better.

And an excellent book to invest is 'Turn left at Orion' it's great to help find your first few objects and it also gives you an idea of what you are searching for will look like in your EP.

Spud

... I think the best bit of kit I can get is a LP filter.  I mean its not particularly bad, I'm not directly under street lights, but you can see a definite sky glow on the horizon.

That would be a good move Caz,

(James is about to review the Baader Neodymium Moon & Skyglow filter).

Steve

Sorry Caz i was,nt trying to rush you , just pointing out the facts , i would recommend taking in the moon watch it through the scope through all the phases and try to get as close in as poss , u wiill find it awe inspiring, and of course the planets , , M42 the orion neb is an easy one to show your friends you can see alot through the scope Ansd after a year i will sell ya my Celestron gps go-to ehehehhehe as you progress through to serious imaging , HOWS ABOUT THAT THEN !!!

Cheers

Rog

:clouds2:

Caz,

Do you have any star Mapping programmes? i would reccomend starry Night pro you can pick up version 3 for nothing our days if you keep a keen eye out on the covers of Magazines(I got it free with the Sky at Night Magazine). Also like Rog has said take in the wonders of the Moon at first you will be amazed by the details you can see in that scope also take in the changes light does to the craters aw some viewing..

James

I would reccomend starry Night pro you can pick up version 3 for nothing our days if you keep a keen eye out on the covers of Magazines(I got it free with the Sky at Night Magazine).

I've seen 'StarryNight Backyard' free on a mag' but never one of the PRO range?

Steve

Archived