sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

Jupiter, tried Autostakkertt and PIPP for 1st time

Hi all, haven't been able to get the scope out much lately due to the weather, but have managed a couple of half decent Jupiter images since new year. I've been trying out Autostakkert2 and Planetary Image Preprocessor (PIPP) for preprocessing, aligning and stacking frames instead of Registax, though I am still using Registax6 for wavelets. This is probably my best effort from Jan 5th, a little early for the GRS it is just coming into view on the right hand (Western) limb.

Happy new year and clear skies to all :)

8354414472_6179447260_z.jpg

Edited by Jove
  • Like 2

Looks very nice. I'm surprised there's not a bit more colour in it though. What capture settings did you use?

James

Can't recall off the top of my head. I used wxAstrocapture - gain was around 50. What would you recommend? I am on a bit of a misson to get better colour - I usually get stronger colour but muddier looking images (see my flickr link) - had supposed this was a central obstruction/Mak thing. Is there an alternative to wxAC that makes colour capture easier to control?

Thanks

Edited by Jove

I use SharpCap for capture. I tried both it and wxAstroCapture and decided that I preferred SharpCap. It has a nice feature that I leave turned on to save the capture settings for each avi file.

James

• 2 weeks later...

V Nice!

Thats really a great picture from the 5" - i'm assuming the 127mak? - did you use any barlow?

Loving the detail. (+1 for sharpcap and autostakkert!2 btw)

Regards

Aenima

Edited by Aenima

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Daniel Valencia
      Hi Guys!
      My name is Daniel and I am from Ecuador, I love astronomy and the secrets our universe holds. I love Jupiter, our big brother, so I opened this forum to talk about facts, secrets, theories, etc. About our gas giant!
    • By MarsG76
      Hello All,
      This is a photo accurate representation of how I've seen the conjunction through a Skywatch 14" f4.6 Dobsonian, using the 17mm Ethos eyepiece combined with the 2X Powermate during the observation of the great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn, and how well both of the planets fit into the eyepiece field of view.
      My location on the east coast of Australia was totally overcast for the last week and this evening I had a small window of opportunity to actually have a glimpse of the rare event, which no doubt, I will not have a another chance of experiencing in my life time.
      This happened about 17 hours after the actual closest point between the planets, and most likely the difference would be so small that it wouldn't be noticeable without direct comparison. 
      This image was composited by first taking a series of shots through the eyepiece using an iPhone, I chose the best frame of the series than superimposed the overexposed planets with images of the planets captured separately with enough transparency as to accurately show how the planet details looked in the eyepiece.
      Observation time was 22 December 2020 @ 09:51 UTC.
      Clear Skies,
      MG

• By bomberbaz
      So I originally planned to go to a good vantage point from the top of Pendle hill, watch out for witches whilst there. It is a local and well known Lancastrian landmark. However my wife is recovering from hospital treatment and so I didn't want to leave her so made do much closer to home.
      A short drive (2 minutes) took me to a place aside the motorway slip road but with a clear-ish view of the setting planets. I was only use 10x30 bins so the view was not particularly well defined but still impressive when considering distances and such. 
      Anyway it is in the bag but would like to do better if at all possible. 
      If the skies are more obliging tomorrow I may venture out with the EEVA set up and grab some data, however the forecast is not so good.
      Cheers
    • By Astrid
      After a few months of getting used to my new 8 inch beast, I decided to start astrophotography (luckily today is Black Friday in most tech shops in my country). So I decided to drop the idea of buying a DSLR and started thinking about getting a webcam. The thing is that I want to try deepsky AP, so i was wondering, is there a webcam that could get me good results for DSO AP? Don't worry, I don't want anything too fancy because I'll be happy with entry-level images. (i saw some nice Andromeda pictures with 20GBP cameras on this forum so I'm confident that it would work).
      My budget is ±100 GBP, which in my opinion is more than enough for a good webcam . So... is it worth getting a webcam? Or is there something better? Should I wait and raise more money for a DSLR?

Thanks a lot!
      Astrid 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.