Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M78, story so far.

ollypenrice

If you've noticed that Yves and I have gone quiet, the reason is simple; we've been working on M78! Don't get started on this if you have plans to image anything else over the winter months... It takes ages at the best of time but we've also had bad weather, flats hassles and a strip down to clean the chip window. We seem to have found a flats formula that works (after trying for a year!) but the dirt caused us a lot of lost subs. I'll have you in tears, eh? :grin: I can't remember what's gone into this so far but it's about 18 hours and we are now planning more 30 min Luminance subs which work very well.

M78%20web%20sRGB-M.jpg

Yves' setup of 14 inch ODK, Mesu Mount 200 and SXVH36 CCD.

Olly

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, I looked at M78 last night, only a faint smudge appeared after 3 20 min lum subs so I decided it was probably best to leave it until I had more time and a bigger light bucket. Nice to see it how it should be though...

This is so nice Olly - In fact before seeing this I had swung the scope over to M78 and saw something in the frame. Then I came on here, saw your's and your comment and promptly moved the scope in the opposite direction!!!

This is so nice Olly - In fact before seeing this I had swung the scope over to M78 and saw something in the frame. Then I came on here, saw your's and your comment and promptly moved the scope in the opposite direction!!!

Good decision!!

Olly

That looks wonderful :) I'm sure there's very much more dertail than I'm seeing in the posted image though :D Clearly well up to the expected hugh standard :)

Looks great but do you have a large version Olly?

Why are such problems with flats?

Mark

We'll post a big one when we have enough data but for now we're badly noise limited. We're shooting tonight so that's good.

The flats have been over correcting. We've tried all sorts of changes but slowing the EL panel down, lowering the ADU to about 15000 and redoing the bias seems to have worked. It"s a bit of a mystery because I use a routine which has always worked for my setups.

Olly

Olly, have you managed to have a first light with your brand new Atik?

No, though I've had a 'First Dark' and done my library of calibration files. Not so much fun as getting the Horse and Flame plus M42 in one shot...

I'm waiting for the filters to come, though an SGL member will be coming soon and has a 2 inch filterwheel so he'll be able to have a play if our filters are delayed.

Olly

No, though I've had a 'First Dark' and done my library of calibration files. Not so much fun as getting the Horse and Flame plus M42 in one shot...

I'm waiting for the filters to come, though an SGL member will be coming soon and has a 2 inch filterwheel so he'll be able to have a play if our filters are delayed.

Olly

Looking forward to it :)

Will you be able to add the new Atik data once you get it to this M78?

Looking forward to it :)

Will you be able to add the new Atik data once you get it to this M78?

Well, this image is with Yves' full frame camera and 2.4 metre FL scope so we wouldn't gain anything. The new Atik will be very similar to Yves' camera. Same chip size.

Olly

Hyperstar? Now that does sound like a good idea on M78!!

Olly

So I am in with a chance?

The plan is to use the hyperstar with the Atik 314L+ OSC and shoot NB or just Lum with the Megrez 72 it has a reducer to bring it down to f4.5 ish the Megrez is mounted on the Edge 8 HD Hyperstar with filter wheel...

Archived