Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Paul G. Abel

Jupiter is superb seeing!

Greetings, happy new year to you all!

Here's some reasonable drawings of Jupiter made in perfect conditions! Strangely, we had a late clearing on 3rd January and the seeing was superb for many long periods of time. I was able to examine the disk and satellites at x400 and record an above normal amount of detail. Alas the clouds rolled in at 2316UT, but I was more than happy with the night's work (though a full rotation would have been excellent).

By the way, if you don't know, the next two Sky at Night programs after tonight- will be looking at the Sun in February, and in March we shall be going through the results of the Winter Moore Marathon. The program with be presented as usual by Dr. Chris Lintott, Pete Lawrence, Dr. Chris North and myself (Dr. Paul Abel ;-) )

I would also like to say a note of thanks to all those who have expressed their support for the program along with some well deserved affection and tributes for the great Sir Patrick Moore. May he always be our patron saint.

Let the good work continue.

Best wishes,

-Paul.

Jupiter_2013_01_03_21-54_Visual_PAbel_zpsb200b108.jpg

• Like 8

Really superb sketches there, Paul. Very exciting to see what you have come up with there.

Best wishes

Tony

Wow Paul! I didnt even know that seeing any kind of detail on Ganymede was possible and at x400 it must of been a very special night. :)

Fantastic sketches, i've only seen jupiter like that two or three times, though i have only ever pushed 300x max. Seeing detail on the moons is astounding! I had no idea it was possible but it's now on my list.