Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter is superb seeing!

Paul G. Abel

Greetings, happy new year to you all!

Here's some reasonable drawings of Jupiter made in perfect conditions! Strangely, we had a late clearing on 3rd January and the seeing was superb for many long periods of time. I was able to examine the disk and satellites at x400 and record an above normal amount of detail. Alas the clouds rolled in at 2316UT, but I was more than happy with the night's work (though a full rotation would have been excellent).

By the way, if you don't know, the next two Sky at Night programs after tonight- will be looking at the Sun in February, and in March we shall be going through the results of the Winter Moore Marathon. The program with be presented as usual by Dr. Chris Lintott, Pete Lawrence, Dr. Chris North and myself (Dr. Paul Abel ;-) )

I would also like to say a note of thanks to all those who have expressed their support for the program along with some well deserved affection and tributes for the great Sir Patrick Moore. May he always be our patron saint.

Let the good work continue.

Best wishes,

-Paul.

Jupiter_2013_01_03_21-54_Visual_PAbel_zpsb200b108.jpg

Archived