Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from dark(ish) skies Melton Mowbray

RedDwarf

Hi

i'm new to astronomy, but have had an urge to own a telescope since was a kid. Well, 30-odd years later and I now have a Sky Watcher Evostar 120 with an EQ5 mount - thanks to Santa aka my wife!

Last night I took it out to my front garden and once the clouds had cleared I managed to get my first ever view of Jupiter and the four Gallilean moons - amazing! I also took a look at the Orion Nebula and the Pleiades and Hyades clusters.

It's going to take me some time to get the hang of setting up and navigating and I can see I'm going to need to invest in a Barlow lens (or two), plus a motor drive for my mount down the line, but I had a great time last night. I'm hooked!

Looking around the site, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience which I'll definitely be making use of.

cheers,

Steve

Welcome Steve and congrats on your new scope, and more importantly some clear skies to go with it! What a brilliant start, it's easy to see how we get hooked so easily!

(If the clear sky came with the package, can you post details. There's a few on here that would be quite interested :grin: )

Good luck

Jason

Hi Steve, and welcome to SGL.

I also have an Evostar 120 & EQ5. It's a fantastic setup, and I've had some great views. I have put dual axis motors on my EQ5, and it makes a big difference to the experience IMHO. I got mine used from UKAB&S, so it's worth keeping an eye out for a bargain. Clear skies! :grin:

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. There is a lot of experience and knowledge waiting to be shared among new people starting so you have certainly come to the right place. All new kit is a little tricky to set up at the beginning but you'll soon get the hang of it. If you haven't done so already, you might want to download a free piece of planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can read about here. Lots of great features and it can be calibrated to match the night sky as seen from your very own observation point. It's very popular here and you will find it useful in helping you to locate objects of interest or to identify objects you discover along the way. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Archived