SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A few easy targets please

bomberbaz

I am very new to this as some of you will know and feel I am missing getting the most out of this obses, erm sorry I mean hobby.

I have looked at many different and various references for information such as S&T sky atlas, stellariium, wikipedia (this is suprisingly useful and well informed) ajnd a few other referencing outlets from the web.

But I have probably overdone this and feeling a little overwhelmed with whats out there. So I wondered what your own favourite easier targets are to get me going. I have managed to date planetary, Pleides (which is beautiful and will stay a favourite) plus some other open clusters.

My viewing has been limited due to the good old Britist weather,however what I would lke to see more of is Nebula and Galaxies, with the former of more interest (I do have a decent UHC filter)

I would point out my best viewing areas are west to north and high in the sky, 45 degrees absolute minimum. I can go to the S and E but the LP is quite bad there.

So any pointeres please.

Baz

Most of the brightest galaxies and star clusters can be found in Charles Messier's famous list, that is where I started many years ago. I havent seen them all yet since some are too far south to be easily seen from the UK and others are faint.

http://messier.seds.org/data2.html

Here is a list of top targets by month which sorts them out a bit

http://observers.org/observing/

What scope do you have?

You can get bogged down in all Baz - as you say - the main thing is to get out under the stars and enjoy the view! M42 in the belt of orion is a lovely sight in any telescope - and is well placed and easy to find - one of the highlights of the winter sky.

andrew

You can get bogged down in all Baz - as you say - the main thing is to get out under the stars and enjoy the view!

Hi Andrew, I think actually that is exactly what has prompted me to write this last night (after a couple of warming drinks). I feel bogged down with all the reading and frustrated by the lack of viewing. I do enjoy the views when I can get them :rolleyes:

Most of the brightest galaxies and star clusters can be found in Charles Messier's famous list,

What scope do you have?

I use the messier list for most of my research reading laser_jock, after all 100+ targets should keep me busy for an age. I have a 12" dob so no real shortage on aperture, as mentioned just a major shortage on clear skies :embarassed:

I have some objects I would love to view such as M33 triangulam galaxy and the owl nebula, both of these look amazing, just hope we get some CS soon

Baz

I've never had an awful lot of luck with galaxies myself, the light pollution makes them really tough to see.

Have you had a look at the Moore Winter Marathon? http://astrog80.astro.cf.ac.uk/mwm/ It has various suggested objects that should mostly be well placed for observing now. (NGC 604 looks like a particularly remarkable target, albeit rated "hard".)

You can get bogged down in all Baz - as you say - the main thing is to get out under the stars and enjoy the view! M42 in the belt of orion is a lovely sight in any telescope - and is well placed and easy to find - one of the highlights of the winter sky.

andrew

Very true.

I have been back at it for the last 18 months or so and I feel that it has taken me up until now to properly relax with it and find my own comfort zone with it (if that makes sense). Initially there is so much that goes through you head. Best scope you can get, eyepieces, AP, wanting to learn lots and the frustrations of the British weather.

Ultimately it is best to just be outside when the chance arises and chill with no real expectation, after all it is for the most of us a hobby. Don't forget about sitting in a chair with a pair of bins and doing a bit of aimless wandering around or just driving out to a dark site with those two things and just sitting under the stars to get get some Zen...:D The basics, constellation learning and star names. Make it simple has become my approach and take the pressure off.

For me it's not so much about being blown away every time I get outside nor knowing all there is to know or seeing different things every time. It's just kool to be under the stars.

they say the more experienced you become the more detail you can see. ive seen a few galaxies now, but apart from the madness of realising the huge distances these things are,visually for me ,i dont get alot out of it. sure i like the challenge of hunting one down manually,and get a sense of satisfaction from that. but mostly a very small fuzzy haze is what you get. i really enjoyed the m81-m82 pair even through my 90mm refractor,they are the stand out ones so far for me. come the spring when virgo is about you can get lost in a sea of galaxies,you'll soon know then if galaxies are your cup of tea or not. so far for me ive found the brighter globular clusters the most impressive to view and the tighter open clusters. planetary nebula are fascinating with so many sizes and shapes out there,some are a real challenge while others are pretty easy targets.

in the end i think the more you go out observing the more you learn and notice for yourself what direction your being pulled towards.

Thanks for the replies and tips guys, I agree with Andrew and foundaplanet, this post was born mainly out of frustration with the lack of viewing. I am sure I will calm down once i manage to get my scope out for longer than 10 minutes :rolleyes:

Baz

Archived